Experience(d users) needed.

Started by Foehammer, May 11, 2008, 10:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foehammer

Hi all. I'm new to ... basically everything 3D. I've been saving up for a while to buy 3D MAX, and I finally have. I've been using it for a week now, and I'm incredibly into it. (Followed dozens of tutorials and have a dozen of models under my belt.)

Now, the reason why I came here is because I want to eventually make my own game. (I will design, model, texture, place, render, code and edit everything in the game. But I might recruit a friend in a few months to get me on my feet.)

That's right. I want to make my own Action-Adventure RPG set in the medieval times. (Think of Oblivion.) I will have a budget of under 300$ a year. (Yeah, I'm doing this whole project by myself, so it will take some time. And to add to being alone, I have no experience. Though I will improve over time.) So I DO plan on purchasing Terragen 2, but for now I want to get accustomed to the interface, and commands.

So, basically, I just want to know, (maybe I could exchange e-mails, or MSN conversations about further details,) how to get started, if there are any tutorials, and.. just anything else there is to it. I have time, so I plan on absorbing every piece of information with due time.

In short, you can contact me on here by PM, or by this thread, or e-mail me, or add me on MSN: rumolly@hotmail.com.
I just want to understand how Terragen works, How to add textures, blah blah blah. (I cannot find any tutorials so far so I'm stumped.)

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but I tried to place it in an ideal location.

I've tried to make this post as understandable as possible, and include as much information I need to better familiarize myself with Terragen.

rcallicotte

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?board=12.0;sort=subject - especially #3

Try downloading some TGDs and TGCs, especially when a thread has lots of discussion and explanation about what the artist / technician was trying to do.  People are pretty helpful, so ask (after searching for a thread with your answer already) and you'll find some attentive and helpful people.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

gregsandor

Head over to http://www.moddb.com/ and find a mod team to join for the game Oblivion, or one that has similar qualities to your game.  As for 3d modeling you can learn a lot over at www.cgtalk.com.