Terragen experiments

Started by Lalla, May 16, 2008, 12:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lalla

This image was created with a real Grand Canyon terrain and image aspect ratio of 2 instead 1.

I've a question, why my image is not similar as real grand canyon image? It's aspect is not "rocky" as others I've seen. Some suggestions? Ty...

Lalla

Phylloxera

Several reasons, it is difficult to image with TG2 it takes time, patience, tenacity and experience!

Lalla

This is not created with terragen 2, but with 0.9.43 version...  ;D
Lalla

PG

I don't know about any images you may have seen from TG 0.9 of the GC but any made with the alpha or pre alpha of TG 2 use displacement to "pull" the terrain out on a particular axis so you can create overhangs.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Lalla

This is possible also with tg 0.9?
Lalla

Tangled-Universe

No, not "really", though there's a optical illusion trick...here it is:

http://www.terra-rium.de.vu/

The reason it is not possible is that a heigthfield is 2d representation of a terrain on the x- and y-axis and that the brightness of the grays determine how much elevation there is. Each pixel represents a certain amount of meters. This way the renderer can resolve the terrain and is also the reason why your grand canyon looks so different than 'the real thing'.
With an overhang there will be different heighths in the same pixel and thus impossible to resolve.
TG2 works in a totally different and way more powerful manner like PG explained shortly.

Martin

Phylloxera

Quote from: Lalla on May 16, 2008, 01:39:23 PM
This is not created with terragen 2, but with 0.9.43 version...  ;D
It's the same thing ! (it's perhaps more easy !)