Procedural Road

Started by Ogre, May 13, 2008, 04:19:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ogre

Out of OB's canyon - converted to Ogre's path file clip arises the procedural road.  I will post a clip file at ashundar after I have had a chance to clean it up.
"If you find me feeding daisies
please turn my face up to the sky and leave me be watching the moon roll by.
What ever I was it was all because I've been on the town washing the BS down."

-Gordon Lightfoot

scott8933

Brilliant! But I'm convinced there's a Black Widow living in that tangle of nodes...

So how controlable are all the params? Is a lighter aggregate (blacktop) possible? Easy to make the road shapes you need w/o too much knowledge of trig? A great start! Very much potential here.

rcallicotte

OMG.  Cool.  Let's see how this works...

Is there a file?  I can't read  your node network. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Ogre

Quote from: calico on May 13, 2008, 10:56:09 PM
Is there a file?  I can't read  your node network. 

I uploaded to Ashundar. http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item399

Quote from: scott8933 on May 13, 2008, 05:23:38 PM
So how controlable are all the params? Is a lighter aggregate (blacktop) possible? Easy to make the road shapes you need w/o too much knowledge of trig? A great start! Very much potential here.

The Shape is the Sine function of which you can control Frequency and Amplitude.  There is a variable to set the Road width, Line width and offset of lines from the center of the road. In the posted image the Road is 10M wide, the Lines are 0.1M wide.  The Yellow lines are offset by 0.2M from the center and the White lines offset by 4.5M. Max line offset is 1/2 the road width.  The Functions automatically create 2 lines of each type and place them at either side of the center at the offset distance.

The road surface is just a surface layer with Fake stones for displacement. You should be able to do what you wish.

-Gordon Lightfoot

rcallicotte

@Ogre - This is fantastic work!  You've gone to a lot of trouble and I'm just beginning to look at it.  What is this? - C:\cws Folder\Textures\Ground\g94.jpg  Is g94.jpg an asphalt texture?

Ogre

Sorry - I didn't include the grass texture I was using for the none road surface.  It's not needed but here it is. The road and road surface is entirely procedural.

-Gordon Lightfoot

rcallicotte

Thanks for the file.

That looks like a lot of work, Ogre.  How long did this take you?  Sheesh.

Ogre

I had a vision on the way home from work Monday. I spent about 3 hrs on it Monday nite and cleaned it today for about another 1/2 hr. It all has fed off the original work OB did on his canyon function which I used as the path function. I forget how much time went into that.

I should have also changed the titles of the groups. Most of them aren't masks but feed into the color function inputs of the surface shaders.

-Gordon Lightfoot

rcallicotte

No complaints here.  I've looked at and am trying to figure out what to do with it.  It's so cool...