Populate Now button

Started by mr-miley, April 16, 2008, 11:18:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr-miley

Hi all. Am I the only one who finds it infuriating to have to switch between the "Model" part and the "population control" part of a population constantly when you are trying  to tweak the scal, shaders etc for TGOs. Would it not be possible to put a "Populate Now" button on the "model" part as well. It would be so useful especially when trying to set the scale of objects. Its realy annoying to have to go bac to the population controlls just to se your new pop........

or is it just me?

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

Mohawk20

It doesn't bother me that much...

However, how about you find the model node in the node view (population->Internal network), and open those settings usine the right mouse button, so it opens a new window. Then in the left part of the main window view the population part.

That way you can make changes in the model window, and immediately press 'populate now', without changing any windows.
Howgh!

joshbakr

You can also use the say open option on each window.

Tangled-Universe

I also find this annoying, certainly because I'm currently working on a scene containing about 10 populations. The keep open option works best for me, like joshbakr said.
A sidetrack on this one: is the 'bug' being fixed in the new release that when you insert a clipfile or copy paste a node that alle the models and populations are being reloaded. Extremely annoying when using many population and/or big models.

Martin

Marcos Silveira

The most annoying part for me is to settle the X, Y and Z coordinates in the pop's for the exact position of the camera every time I insert a new population... >:(
Couldn't be a kind of check button like "center population in camera position"? ???
Man it's a party of ctrl+c's and ctrl+v's... ???

Mandrake

"center population in camera position"?

I like that one!!!

joshbakr

Quote from: ro-nin on April 16, 2008, 05:04:01 PM

Couldn't be a kind of check button like "center population in camera position"? ???

Good idea, but then half of your population is still behind the camera and a waste of resources. Would save some time though.

Marcos Silveira

Quote from: joshbakr on April 17, 2008, 09:19:48 AM
Quote from: ro-nin on April 16, 2008, 05:04:01 PM

Good idea, but then half of your population is still behind the camera and a waste of resources. Would save some time though.

Or "center population ahead camera position", don't know, just something like that...

Oshyan

The object loaders used in a population are the same as those used for stand-alone objects, where a "populate" button would make no sense. I agree that a better workflow for population tweaking would be good, but I don't think this is the best way to do it. For now the "stay open" option with multiple property windows probably works best.

As for better population/object manipulation and placement tools, I agree these are also needed and should be addressed in the future.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 16, 2008, 12:59:54 PM
I also find this annoying, certainly because I'm currently working on a scene containing about 10 populations. The keep open option works best for me, like joshbakr said.
A sidetrack on this one: is the 'bug' being fixed in the new release that when you insert a clipfile or copy paste a node that alle the models and populations are being reloaded. Extremely annoying when using many population and/or big models.

Martin

Is it correct that this issue hasn't been solved yet?
After inserting a clipfile and sometimes even after changing an atmosphere node the whole set of populations (10x) and models (2x) reloads :(
It's something to overcome, but it's just annoying.

Martin

Matt

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on May 26, 2008, 03:19:12 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on April 16, 2008, 12:59:54 PM

Martin

Is it correct that this issue hasn't been solved yet?
After inserting a clipfile and sometimes even after changing an atmosphere node the whole set of populations (10x) and models (2x) reloads :(
It's something to overcome, but it's just annoying.

Martin

Inserting clip files still causes populations and objects to reload, but we will do something about this. The problem with populations repopulating after changes to the atmosphere or clouds has already been fixed.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Tangled-Universe

Ah I see...perhaps I was mistaking about the atmo-nodes then. I was copy/pasting and adjusting loads of clips into a scene for testing.
Probably lost track a bit :)
Thanks Matt.

Martin

Matt

Hi Martin,

That atmosphere-related fix hasn't been released yet; I just meant that it's already been taken care of.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.