Phoenix : From Mars with love.

Started by Chinaski, May 24, 2008, 12:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinaski

Hi all!

Some renders about Mars phoenix lander mission. Not enough time to finish my scene (it's tomorow!), so I just post what I've done.

Phoenix lander mesh is homemade, terrain is full procedural, ice climb is not image mapped (efflux's trick), I've used and modified Tangled-Universe's fake stones clip. Rendered on my old PIII with free TG2 preview version, panoramics are build with PanoTools / hugin.

Et, en français dans le texte, un grand MERDE aux gus qui font voler ce joujou. ;)
nb : WIP thread of the project (with other renders) here, on planete-terragen forum.
You don't understand me ? That's normal, I don't speak english.

mrwho

nice. I like the 4th one the most, well done.

PG

Whereabouts did you find this trick by Efflux? and the clip from tangled universe?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Seth

moi j'adore !
un petit moins sur l'atmo quje trouve simple, mais c'est pour chipoter ;)

Mohawk20

Great detail and realism. A good show of what Terragen can do!
Howgh!

Costaud

Excellent Mars scene, the light is very well done, nice ship too. Oui MERDE au gus ça tu peux le dire.

cyphyr

Beautifully realized, very well done. Make sure you send a copy to NASA (and don't forget to digitally sign it in some way ;) )
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Chinaski

@ PG: I've used this Efflux method but modifying this :

to this (differents scales and noises, no displacement) :

Here is the Tangled-Universe's cracked rocks clip. It looks like that in my scene :

rcallicotte

Hey, this was fun.  Cool lighting in a couple of them.  Thanks for sharing your methods!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

I love the second one and I want to use the first one as my forums signature :D
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Tangled-Universe

Very good work so far Chinaski! Nice to see you've made good use of my clip.
This has all been rendered in TG? I can remember that Lucio once posted a similar theme and used max to integrate/compose a TG rendered terrain in a 3ds-max scene.
I like the cracks in the ground (3rd and 4th picture) Image map based displacement I guess?
The rock-scales are nice but I think the ground can use some more bumpy detail.
I also see artifacts in the lander's shadow in the 4th picture? Or am I mistaking :)
The atmo is very nice by the way.
Happy to see some more of this in the future.

Martin

Chinaski

That's full TG2 (build1.9.04.1) rendered. There is just a little postwork for build panoramics, color balance and sharpen. Nothing else. The Phoenix lander was modelised in old max 5 version (I was help by Corby Waste's pictures of lander), convert with PoseRay, and import in TG2 (with some material rendering problems).

For the terrain, when I've started this project I've decided to do a function only landscape, and build it with Terragen only (I regulary use World Machine or GeoControl, but this time it was for test TG2's terrains generation capability).

That's work fine, but with render artefacts. So I do this, and finally this:

Auto generating terrain time is ½ hour on my pentium III computer.

You're right, the cracks effect is image map based displacement. I know how to do that with functions, but my node network was already really really really complicated:

And I try to limit the render time. ;)

In the lander's shadow, I think what you see is not an artefact. There is a lot of things under the lander: The shadow, the robot arm's trench, some cracks and stones, the landing-rockets (???) traces, etc. Maybe it's one of this (unfinished) things that you see as an artefact (I hope).

And I'm agree with you, the ground can use some more bumpy detail. By the way there is a lot of improvements to do on ground (sand dunes, arm's trench, bumpyness, etc.) on lander (materials) and on sky (global atmosphere, light, cirrus clouds, dust storm, dust evils, etc.). I have a very long ToDolist... :D

I just wanted posting something before the Phoenix landing (and before we see the real mars (flat) lanscape around Phoenix). It's done. Now I can take my time and working fine this scene.

nb : I hope someone will understand my very bad english. :D

inkydigit

I like 3 and 4 most....holy cow your node network is an artwork in itself!!!

Mr_Lamppost

They are all good but I like the composition in the last one best.

And I thought I made complex networks.  ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Chinaski