Warning against AVG Free vs 8.0

Started by mogn, May 24, 2008, 07:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogn

I downloaded the free version of AVG to day on my 3.4 mHZ Intel HT (XPpro SP3).
With the previous version of AVG, TGP3 detected as expected 2 logical processes.
With the new version of AVG, only 1 process is detected?
The only way to get rid of this box, is to use the task maneger

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

PG

That shouldn't be a problem caused by AVG, I've got the free 8.0 and I've got TGP 3 and don't have that, detects both cores fine, are you on XP 32bit, 64bit or vista?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

jo

Hi Mogn,

That is weird. Did you try clicking on the black rectangle? That's where the OK button is. For some reason it isn't drawing properly.

Regards,

Jo

mogn

The Ok button only showed up, in the caption (Irfanwiew) of the screenboard.
This morning I shut down "spyware doctor". This gave a slightly another respose,
with the Ok buttom visible (and working).

OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation
System Name   MOGN
System Manufacturer   GBT___
System Model   AWRDACPI
System Type   X86-based PC
Processor   x86 Family 15 Model 3 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~3416 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date   Award Software International, Inc. F4, 01-11-2004
SMBIOS Version   2.3

Note: I uninstalled AVG, Same problem ??? Is it Service Pack 3?
         Next I will try to reinstall tgd3

PG

There could then be a conflict between spy doctor and AVG free. There have been some issues raised between the two, most notably the mouse pointer freezing when using IE7. This could be another issue. As I say I've never had any problems with AVG on it's own.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

mogn

With AVG uninstalled, and TGd reinstalled, I must conclude that it must be Service Pack 3.
It doesnt matter in my current configuration, but it is a problem.

rcallicotte

I've heard SP3 has problems.  It was a pretty shaky release.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

If it is SP3, that kind of makes sense actually :)  SP3 added a new function which TG tries to use to detect CPU information. Your system really only has one CPU, and Terragen will probably perform best if you don't treat hyperthreading as a second CPU. Using 1 render thread is probably best on your system. Without SP3, TG had to rely on older functions to guess the number of cores. With hyperthreading it thought there were 2. Now it knows that there is 1, which is correct :)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

mogn

Thanks Matt!. Does than mean, that it is safe to to install sp3, when I get my new quad working?

Matt

I can only say that SP3 will probably allow Terragen to detect the cores more correctly on your computer, but it doesn't get it right on all computers. I don't know about general stability of SP3 as I do not have it installed, but I am not aware of any reasons why you should not install it.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.