VRay or Maxwell

Started by rcallicotte, July 17, 2008, 08:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Which is the better renderer and why?   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Depends what you need in my opinion. Maxwell is amazing for stills and architectural stuff while V-ray is generally better for animation and film...at least in my experience. Keep in mind though that I've only used both briefly.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

sjefen

What about mental ray? ;)

I went to school so I could learn 3ds max. I have never tested VRay or Maxwell, but mental ray comes with 3ds max. I was the only one in my class that always used mental ray. I loved it. Very powerful render once you learn it.
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

lightning

if you want a quick yet high quality render i would use vray
but if you have a bit more patience go with maxwell it generates a lot higher quality images than vray

rcallicotte

Is it true that VRay isn't as 3D software modeler friendly as Maxwell?  It also seems to me that the VRay renders I've seen look so amazingly real.

Oshyan

Quote from: lightning on July 17, 2008, 09:15:46 PM
if you want a quick yet high quality render i would use vray
but if you have a bit more patience go with maxwell it generates a lot higher quality images than vray
Is that based on personal experience, or examples you've seen? From almost everything I've seen Vray can equal Maxwell in the majority of situations (there are some special scenes that have complex interplay of light transport, unusual in the real world, that Maxwell does better because it's "unbiased"). And it's generally a good deal faster, too.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Thanks for this input.  It's invaluable.