Crashing scene...

Started by Njen, January 09, 2007, 04:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Njen

Simplified to just include the necessary nodes that contribute to the crash.

1. Open the file
2. Switch to the 'Renderers' button along the top

Result: Crash (Terragen disappears)

I think it has something to do with using the combination of the Subtract node and the Merge node, because if I use any other combination, it seems fine. Plus if the 'Mix to A' slider in the Merge node is anything other than 0 and 1, it will crash when selecting the 'Renderers' button along the top.

Cheers.

firesuite

Quote from: njen on January 09, 2007, 04:20:39 PM
Simplified to just include the necessary nodes that contribute to the crash.

1. Open the file
2. Switch to the 'Renderers' button along the top

Result: Crash (Terragen disappears)

I think it has something to do with using the combination of the Subtract node and the Merge node, because if I use any other combination, it seems fine. Plus if the 'Mix to A' slider in the Merge node is anything other than 0 and 1, it will crash when selecting the 'Renderers' button along the top.

Cheers.

I can confirm, just dloaded the file and tried it and it crashed for me too

xanga433

confirmation number 3. And it molested my virtual memory and nearly took out my computer on the way down.  ;)

jo

Hi,

I can confirm this problem on TG2 Mac. What's happening is that it's allocating so much memory that it chews through the available addressing space and crashes when it tries to allocate some more and finds there is none left. I'm not really sure why that's happening, but I'll fill Matt in on what I've been able to find out.

Regards,

Jo

Njen

Quote from: xanga433 on January 09, 2007, 06:18:26 PM
confirmation number 3. And it molested my virtual memory and nearly took out my computer on the way down.  ;)

Yikes, sorry about that xanga :(

And thanks Jo :)

Matt

It's likely that this is happening due to some extreme displacement function that is very difficult for the renderer to resolve. You might have more luck if you put clamp functions (eg. "Clamp 0 1") after each function or colour shader in your displacement network, and then disable those clamping functions one by one if they are giving results you're not happy with.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.