Valley WIP

Started by nvseal, June 02, 2008, 09:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvseal

Well, just a tad over 100 hours. I don't know why in the world I let a work in progress go for over 100 hours but here it is none the less.  ::) The clouds are going to be replaced by a more fitting setup. While I like the general setup of these clouds (and th fractal isn' ready yet as can be seen), I think something else would just work better. I'm going to remove the foreground tree too. I thought it might help out, but instead I think it is just more of a distraction. I also need to fix somethings with the fake grass. Those are my thoughts on this one for now. c & c welcome. Just kind of try to ignore the sky (or at least the clouds), it's going to change completely.

Seth

rcallicotte

I like the clouds and I was only going to mention the grass.  I agree about the haze - looks good.  Good overall.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mr_Lamppost

Those clouds are really nice but I wonder if something a little softere  would suit this image better?  Also do you have same thin low level clouds or is ther a sorting error just above the tree?  I like the tree and far from removing it would add several more, they may serve to disguise the shortcomings in the foreground fake grass.  If you do keep the tree; check its shaders, It s showing an unnatural blue sheen which is usually the result of the specular value for one or more of the surface shaders having been set to 1.  Other than that; Nice one.  ;D
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

nvseal

Yeah, I've already changed the clouds to something which I think work much better. That's the old horizon bug coming through there (this was rendered with the old beta build rather than the new alpha release). I thought about adding more trees but I might not -- I think I now how to fix the grass issues, mostly.  ;D

Tangled-Universe

Hi Stephen,

Very nice work so far. I like how the soft wavy terrain builds up the depth, good pov for that. The grasses look good to me, nice color-variations! What is it what you don't like about it? The terrain/surface could use some more elements or variation like patches of grey fake stones and maybe some water somewhere.
I see what you mean about the clouds but I think the shape and scale of the clouds are fantastic and fit the scene very well. Just like Mr. Lamppost said you'll have to sort out how to make the clouds look softer and how to get the lighting sorted out to get rid of the dark-grey shadows. I think 'PG' knows quite some about this.
Looking forward to see your update, hope you'll stick to your clouds a bit :)

Martin