TG2's default units

Started by rcallicotte, January 10, 2007, 09:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I've read about this some, but it would help to have a chart.  Are the following accurate for the units for TG2?

.1 == 1 centimeter
1 == 1 meter
1000 == 1 kilometer
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

FrankB

Quote from: calico on January 10, 2007, 09:50:50 AM
I've read about this some, but it would help to have a chart.  Are the following accurate for the units for TG2?

.1 == 1 centimeter
1 == 1 meter
1000 == 1 kilometer

Not quite. This is correct:

0.1 = 10 cm
1 = 1 m
1000 = 1km

Regards,
Frank

rcallicotte

Based upon the 1 == 1 meter, then shouldn't .010 == 10 centimeters and (my mistake) .001 == 1 centimeter?

Quote from: FrankB on January 10, 2007, 11:13:42 AM
Quote from: calico on January 10, 2007, 09:50:50 AM

.1 == 1 centimeter
1 == 1 meter
1000 == 1 kilometer

Not quite. This is correct:

0.1 = 10 cm
1 = 1 m
1000 = 1km

Regards,
Frank

Njen

1m = 100cm
0.1m = 10cm
0.01m = 1cm

To get 1cm expressed as in metres, you have to move the cedimal point 2 to the left (two zeros in 100), thus 0.01.

3DGuy

No. A centimeter is 1/100 of a meter. So 0.01 = 1 cm.
Metric scale is as follows:

10mm=1cm (centimeter, mm=milimeter)
10cm=1dm (decimeter)
10dm=1m (meter)
10m=1dam (decameter)
10dam=1hm (hectometer)
10hm=1km (km)

etc... powers of 10 ;)

edit:njen replied while I was typing :P

Njen

Quote from: 3DGuy on January 10, 2007, 11:56:50 AM
edit:njen replied while I was typing :P

lol, it's the quick or the dead around here, hahaha

Njen

Actually, while on cm, m, mm, etc, I was wondering why when zooming in and out of the little square preview window to the left of the 3D preview that it displays values in metres, until you zoom in under a metre, then it displays units in millimetres? Centimetres seem to had been skipped altogether.

Just wondering why, that's all...no big deal :)

rcallicotte

You can tell I'm from America, I guess.  I haven't applied myself to metrics.  It's time.

Thanks everyone...it helps to understand this when using TG2.  Especially for displacement maps.

Quote from: njen on January 10, 2007, 11:54:03 AM
1m = 100cm
0.1m = 10cm
0.01m = 1cm

To get 1cm expressed as in metres, you have to move the cedimal point 2 to the left (two zeros in 100), thus 0.01.

stunnedmullet

Quote from: njen on January 10, 2007, 12:11:48 PM
Actually, while on cm, m, mm, etc, I was wondering why when zooming in and out of the little square preview window to the left of the 3D preview that it displays values in metres, until you zoom in under a metre, then it displays units in millimetres? Centimetres seem to had been skipped altogether.

I think it may be because, technically, centimetres aren't recognised SI units although they're commonly used. All(?) metric measurement systems increase/decrease by 103/10-3.
Although here in the UK we've been more or less metric for decades (beer is still in pints!) I still tend to think in feet and inches - too old to learn I guess.

jo

Hi,

Quote from: 3DGuy on January 10, 2007, 11:56:50 AM
10cm=1dm (decimeter)
10m=1dam (decameter)
10dam=1hm (hectometer)

No one uses those units though. I've only heard of decimetres out of those as well. The one time I've come across decimetre was when I was doing a yacht design course by correspondence from the US ( in another life  :) ). They were introducing metric units and talking about decimetre's like it was something we actually used here in Metric World ( i.e. everywhere which isn't the US  ;) ) and had the same sort of status as millimetres and centimetres. Millimetres, centimetres, metres and kilometres are the length units used most commonly in metric.

Regards,

Jo

jo

Hi,

Quote from: njen on January 10, 2007, 12:11:48 PM

You don't have to step down progressively through the units, there's no sort of law about it :). For example, in building ( house and boat building, which I have experience with ) you most commonly use millimetres and metres. When you're measuring things you'd usually say "500" for something half a metre long, i.e. you're talking in millimetres. It can be a real nuisance when you come across a tape measure in centimetres, several of my cheap ones are. It's easy enough to convert, but it's not so convenient and can cause confusion when you're working with someone else accustomed to taking measurements in millimetres. 

Anyway, when you're doing stuff like ordering wood you'd say "I'll have 20 metres of 100 x 50", which is 20 metres of 100 mm by 50 mm ( the metric equivalent of 2 x 4 ). You wouldn't order 20,000 mm of 100 x 50, although it's the same thing  ;).

On the other hand, the maximum size limit for trout in a river I fish in sometimes is 40 cm, rather than 400 mm, in the fishing regs.

Regards,

Jo

Will

Heh as a a high school student I would like to add that America is now forcing the metric system upon us, even NASA has converted!
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Ricowan

They (the US school system) tried forcing it on us when I was in grade school, and that was...  well...  let's just say late 1970s.  :)

Rich

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Thanks for everyone's explanations and comments.  I'm slowly getting used to the idea.