Old WIP tien shan revisited

Started by Mahnmut, June 08, 2008, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

This is an old Wip I just dug out.
I wonder if it´s worth reactivating. Normally I dont like artifacts in my images, neither strange spikes on the rocks (who likes them?) nor manmade things in natural surroundings.
It´s not supposed to look like real mountains on earth do.

C&C welcome!

rcallicotte

Interesting.  Maybe it needs some more work, but I don't know.  I like the point of view.  The foreground terrain looks too manmade and not realistic enough.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

EBAndrew

The only thing I could really nitpick about is that the terrain might be little smooth. Other than that, I really like the odd shapes that it has.
-Andrew

Mahnmut

It won´t be a problem to roughen up the rocks, I think I abandoned this little project because I wasn´t content with my textures for the bridge. I found the model for free on turbosquid I think. And with all effort couldn´t make it look more realistic than it does in this version.
If I could solve that the rocks would be fun to do!
Best Regards,
Jan

EBAndrew

If it's just a matter of texturing... yeah, they are a *little* off. I'm not sure what you used at the time, but what I use for my texturing at work is MapZone2. It takes a little time to get into and understand (though it's node-based like Terragen, so it should be kinda familiar) but you can make some amazing textures with it. There's even a free, fully-functional version of it!

From a model perspective, all I could say is that maybe the bridge looks too... orderly and static. Maybe put some angular variation into the planks or even break/add knotholes to them, some more color variation between each plank... But really, I think that - for me anyway - the only think I don't like about the bridge is the texturing, and that's hella-easy to fix (even though it is very orderly).

I truely don't think you should abandon this - at least, not forever. I'd really like to see it taken to the next level! I might even be willing to concoct a bridge model/texture for ya...!
-Andrew

Mahnmut

@EBAndrew: that would be great and maybe of interest for others as  well.
I for myself have no idea at all of how to create 3d models. I just plugged image maps into the multishader I found by trial and error!
So if you would like to construct a nice bridge It would be a pleasure to me to use it.
Best Regards,
Jan

Mahnmut

Shame!
:-\
I just lost my harddrive!
Most data are safe on an external one so it´s not that bad.
But when I looked for the file called "Bridge.tgd" it was something completely different.
So I fear this wip is lost.
I´d like to swear.
But anyway, If you still like to build a bridge, EBAndrew, I am trying to reconstruct something similar.
I´m tired of low solution marsmaps for the moment anyway.

Mahnmut

I found the tgd!
Tried to improve the bridges shaders but still the shape is to regular.
The low cloud layer needs improvement.
What do you think about the lighting direction?
I think original is best, but I like the shadow on the bridge.

Need some clue that the way goes on p the left mountain...

zhotfire

I like the shadow on the bridge, but it would be better if it were lit where it lands on the other side like the first one.

Mahnmut

Thats what I thought.
Can´t do that by moving the sunlight, I will have to put something there that throws the foreground shadow.

EBAndrew

I really like the first of the two new ones: I like seeing the new rock faces! And I'm glad that you decided to keep on goin' with this, and that you managed to recover it!

As for the bridge model, sorry for the late reply I kinda lost track of a couple things... I just got my hands on a copy of Max 9 (migrating from Blender) so I'll cook you one up here.

Where'd you get the bridge model from? Do you remember the specific page? What I'm planning on doing is using it as a template, so the new one will fit in the scene properly, as far as size and such goes. Or, might you be able to mail it to me? I'll PM you the addy.
-Andrew

zhotfire

Quote from: Mahnmut on June 25, 2008, 08:58:21 AM
Thats what I thought.
Can´t do that by moving the sunlight, I will have to put something there that throws the foreground shadow.
Would you consider doing it in postwork? Might be the easiest solution... a little cut and paste, blend...  :)

Yoda Almighty

when you redo the bridge, make is sag just a little more. right now, the bridge looks like it's under too much tension. also, add more supports between the rope and the bottom of the bridge. maybe 2 between each original.

overall, a very nice image.  :)

all music instruments are ridiculously expensive to repair, with the possible exception of the triangle.

Terry Pratchet, Masqurade

Mahnmut

Thats the latest version,
I think I will wait for EBAndrews Bridge model before I render another one.
The lighting is quite difficult in this scene. I really like to see the strange rocks in the middle plastically, but the only lighting direction that works leaves much of the rest in shadow. Maybe a second sun??
The Buddhas mean to indicate where the path goes on.
In fact, the shadow on the bridge is thrown by a uge flying Buddha. ;)

by the way, can anyone tell me how to include thumbnails?
It becomes a bit crowded with all those fullsize images.
Best Regards,
Jan

Mahnmut

@ Yoda:
As I mentioned I can´t make any models.
But EBAndrew is so kind to make one for me.
But I will post him your advice, it´s good.
Thanks.