Old WIP tien shan revisited

Started by Mahnmut, June 08, 2008, 07:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBAndrew

Quote from: Yoda Almighty on June 27, 2008, 10:02:39 AM
when you redo the bridge, make is sag just a little more. right now, the bridge looks like it's under too much tension. also, add more supports between the rope and the bottom of the bridge. maybe 2 between each original...

Indeed, it's very... ridgid (SP?) looking, and very orderly. I plan on not only adding variation to the positioning of the wood planks, but a lot more geometric detail to the ropes (more of them, bent, knots) and applying physics to the model before I export it to give it a realistic sag.

Or something like that! We'll see where the journey takes me!
-Andrew

Yoda Almighty

by the way EBAndrew, how did you import the 3D object to begin with? (using blender) like what formats to use, ect.
all music instruments are ridiculously expensive to repair, with the possible exception of the triangle.

Terry Pratchet, Masqurade

EBAndrew

As far as what formats are best to use in general, I think the Wavefront .OBJ is one of the better ones to use (not only does basically everything recognize it, but Terragen is in that list!). But honestly, it's really the only one I've ever had to use, so... :P I recently had a run-in with a program that exported Collada models, and I can say that it was... not good, at best. Actually trying to do anything with it - mesh smoothing, for example - resulted in the model actually looking worse than it did initially.

It's only recently that I've been pushed over the edge into full-time modelling - it was always more of a hobby I'd tinker with every now and then before - so I'm only now being exposed to the exportable formats. But even then, at work at least, it's a custom format that I never have to worry about more than mashing the 'Export' button over. Level art is much more... complex, but still all in custom formats.

I post this on the boards instead of PMing you in the hopes that someone far more knowledgeable than I can answer better.

But as far as importing into Blender, if you're using the .obj format, it's really as easy as finding the file and hitting Import. So far I haven't needed to use anything but the default import settings for that format (aside from changing the scale from 10 to 100 - unless you want it coming in at a tenth the size:P).
-Andrew

Yoda Almighty

lol. I should have known.

is there a way to have the 3D object retain the materials you set on it? (not UV mapped)
all music instruments are ridiculously expensive to repair, with the possible exception of the triangle.

Terry Pratchet, Masqurade

Mahnmut

Hi there!
I´m really looking forward to the result of all your efforts.
Thanks a lot.
I am definitely not the much more knowledgeable person you are looking for, but I thought of some more details that may help:
In my image the bridge is about 300 metres long and ten in width, what means my image is quite off scale.
I increased the lenght in order to achieve the impression of standing in the middle of the bridge instead of the beginning, therefore I wanted only the ascending part of the sagging bridge in view, which would have half of the curvature.
But anyway the original is more like a circles segment than the parabolic curve it should be.

When I downloaded   those models about a year ago (turbosquid), there where some I could use directly  in TG, others I had to convert in Poseray.
I don´t remember of which kind the bridge was, but I found a file with the same name .mtl .
Is that additional data ("material"?) or maybe the original model?

AAndrew, you can take as much time as you want, I have some exams to prepare too, so it´s maybe even better if I don´t spend to much time with terragen at the moment.
Best Regards,
Jan

Mahnmut

well, just because I can, bigger.
tienshanbig by JT, on Flickr