Help Making a Webpage

Started by sjefen, January 18, 2008, 05:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjefen

I want to make myself a webpage and was wondering what software i should use. I have not done anything like this before so I need something thats easy to understand but also good and flexible. It would be great If any of you can point me in the right directions :)
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Harvey Birdman

My experience in this area is limited to Microsoft products. (You may recall a mention of a giant white rabbit.)

;D

MS's Expression Web is the latest, greatest supposedly user-friendly tool, replacing FrontPage. If you're more the programmer type and want to play with ASP.NET, the Visual Web Developer tool from MS is free, but not as user-friendly as Expression Web or FrontPage. (FrontPage is still a viable tool.)

rcallicotte

Expression Web and Frontpage came to mind.  Microsoft.

Other alternatives are actual programming with Microsoft's free programming tools, but for something easier there's Adobe products.  Then you're paying more money.  Dreamweaver.  Notepad and simple HTML.  There are free programs at www.download.com to generate web pages.  Usually, the site where you put your web pages will provide or suggest tools to use.  GoDaddy.com is a good place to start looking, if you're going the route of making a site, etc.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sjefen

Thank you guys. I'll have a look at this.

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

old_blaggard

I would also google "content management systems" or CMS.  If you're on a Mac, there are lots of free/cheap web authoring solutions out there, including Apple's own iWeb and also RapidWeaver (my preferred program for quick sites).  One thing to consider is building skills for later; learning to program a website in PHP/Python/Ruby in back and XHMTL/CSS/Javascript in front can be *extremely* useful in many areas related to computers, not just programming and web development.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Dark Fire

Quote from: old_blaggard on January 19, 2008, 03:38:01 AM
I would also google "content management systems" or CMS.  If you're on a Mac, there are lots of free/cheap web authoring solutions out there, including Apple's own iWeb and also RapidWeaver (my preferred program for quick sites).  One thing to consider is building skills for later; learning to program a website in PHP/Python/Ruby in back and XHMTL/CSS/Javascript in front can be *extremely* useful in many areas related to computers, not just programming and web development.
I completely agree. I started with a CMS but, after a while, decided that I could do a much better job by myself in PHP. My blog is the product of my efforts, and contains such thorough systems for ensuring XHTML and CSS validity that it has been called 'bullet proof'. As recently as a year ago I had negligible knowledge of PHP, so it clearly doesn't take long to become fairly proficient...

bigben

I'm rebuilding my site on WordPress, with plugins for extra functionality. The best thing about blog/cms type sites is that they do most of the coding work for you so you can concentrate more on the actual content, which in the end is what will make or break your site.

sjefen

Thanks a lot guys. I'll have a look at these and see if I can cook something together.

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

pauli

Quote from: sjefen on January 18, 2008, 05:40:12 PM
I want to make myself a webpage and was wondering what software i should use. I have not done anything like this before so I need something thats easy to understand but also good and flexible. It would be great If any of you can point me in the right directions :)

You do not need any software. Except a text editor such as Notepad (comes with Windows) and an FTP program to upload the files. (A command line based FTP program comes with Windows, but there are free graphical FTP programs that are easier to use, I would recommend FileZilla.)

Personally, I do all my web page editing using Vedit, since it is the best text editor available. However, if you do not need an editor for anything else than making web pages, then you might consider one of the dedicated HTML editors, many of which are free (for example HTML-Kit).

You should avoid using so called WYSIWYG editors (such as Front Page). They can be used for small modifications on existing pages, but they should not be used for creating new pages, since the result is horrible. And in any case, you need to learn HTML if you are going to create web pages.

You do not need to do any programming to create a web page. You definitely do not need to use CMS or PHP or anything like that. Web pages are done by writing simple HTML code, and possibly some CSS (style sheet) to adjust the appearance of the page.

--
Pauli

sjefen

Well...... I just started workin on my webpage.
The thing is a found a page where a could download free HTML Templates. I downloaded a simple one
which a liked and started working on it. I don't understand much of what I'm doing, but I've been able
to change it pretty much so it's more my own thing now.
So I'm wondering.... can I just upload it and say it's mine or what?

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

red_planet

Couple of things....

For it to show up somewhere on the wibbly wobbly web..it needs to be hosted somewhere. You could run a web server from your home PC.. not recommended  ;). You could use one of the many free web hosting options.. use google (other search engines are available !) to find potential hosts.

Do you want your own domain name as in www.sjefen.net ..or similar. If you do you're will need to register the domain name. Some web hosting companies can sort out the admin side for you.

There are many companies to choose from when it comes to paid hosting, e.g. 1 and 1, do some research and determine which offers the best package for your requirements.

Hope this helps..

Rgds

Chris