Object primary/secondary rays

Started by JimB, June 20, 2008, 06:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimB

Pretty important, I think, for production use is being able to switch off primary rays on objects, so they can cast shadows but not be visible, and leave a clean background for comp. Any plans for this to be implemented?
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

JimB

bump

I really think this should be considered. TG2 doesn't have the range of material shaders, yet, to match the likes of Mental Ray. Landscape shaders are its strength. Until it does, I really believe the option to switch off object primary rays should be added (like most any other entity has the option) to create a clean background for comp and subtle FX, but object shadows and reflections (reflection as a subtle influence probably) are present.
Some bits and bobs
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

jo

Hi Jim,

I believe this is something that will be implemented, as part of our policy of wanting to make it easy to composite TG2 generated scenes with objects or whatever from more general purpose renders. I know it's something we talked about long ago. Not sure when this will be done, but probably after the TG2 final release.

Regards,

Jo

Matt

We are almost at feature freeze for the beta, but I think this is probably simple enough that I may be able to squeeze it in.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

JimB

Some bits and bobs

cyphyr

Any chance of a depth mask to go along with that, would be very useful. Thanks
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

Dedicated z-depth output will have to wait until after 2.0 final, because this can be done already using the distance shader even though it is not the ideal solution.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.