Seemingly, the Same Missing Blocks

Started by rcallicotte, July 03, 2008, 08:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I know this is a little different, but after 24 hours I stopped this render.  This missing block stood this way for about 4 hours without a change.  See the black block on the right of the cave entrance?  That was never rendered.  The cave model is in tact with all of its texture mappings and geometry.  This rendered fine two or three versions ago.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

rcallicotte

Matt

1. If you choose a crop region surrounding that bad part of the image, does it still fail?
2. Were any errors reported? (The Errors and Windows dialog doesn't pop to the front if it has been minimised rather than closed.)
3. This scene looks like it would be good for us to test in-house if you can send us the files.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rcallicotte

1.  I'll try a crop today and tell you what happens.
2.  No error messages in TGD or Windows or anywhere else.
3.  I'll send all of the files to you at the support email address.  Unfortunately, you'll need to assign new paths to a couple of the image map shaders (images enclosed) and the model just uses maps from the root from a directory called Maps.

rcallicotte

Matt, a cropped render didn't produce the same problem.

nikita

Hey guys!

I got some fun thing for you.  ;D
Not really.. but I think it might help hunting down some bugs:
[attach=1]
In case of deja-vu, look here: http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=4368.0

The scene itself is the default scene, except is was originally created in TP3 because the object wouldn't load in TP4(!(?)). I wonder if those things happen with fresh TP4-projects too.

I attached the file and here's a link to the object: http://nkdev.de/misc/Ahorn_Faecher-.rar if you need it (I included the whole folder). It worked before.

nikita

Here is a version with a crop-render causing a crash.
I'm talking about the Quick Render btw.

Ok, I'm already feeling like a spammer now. If you need more, let me know.  ;D

Matt

Hi nikita,

I've found the problem with that object. I've made some changes which allow that object to render properly and which should hopefully avoid similar problems with other objects.

Matt

Matt

I'm running some tests with your files, calico. Failures that occur 24 hours into a render are pretty difficult to run repeat tests on though :(

Matt

Matt

Which renderer should I use, calico, and what detail and image size? None of the renderers match the size of image you posted.

Matt

rcallicotte

Matt, the image above is shrunk to conform to below the 512K mark.

I used the Quick Render -

1000X600
Detail - .8
AA - 10
GI - 3 / 2

Quote from: Matt on July 05, 2008, 09:58:39 PM
Which renderer should I use, calico, and what detail and image size? None of the renderers match the size of image you posted.

Matt

rcallicotte

I know this was for nikita, but is this similar to my situation?

Quote from: Matt on July 05, 2008, 09:33:50 PM
Hi nikita,

I've found the problem with that object. I've made some changes which allow that object to render properly and which should hopefully avoid similar problems with other objects.

Matt

Matt

Quote from: calico on July 06, 2008, 09:22:12 AM
I know this was for nikita, but is this similar to my situation?

It's possible, but I have no real way of knowing at this point.

Matt

rcallicotte

I understand...needles in haystacks...

Matt

Actually, I think it's unlikely, since Nikita's problem was reproducible with even very small crop renders, and having seen what caused the problem it was likely to crash no matter what resolution or crop was chosen.