Size of subdiv cache and minimum thread settings not sticking

Started by plugsnpixels, June 30, 2008, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plugsnpixels

I just loaded up TP4 on my MacPro and immediately upon doing a Quick Render got an error message (which I had never seen before) about my subdiv cache being set too low. So I increased it, saved the test project I was playing with and quit, hoping to make the subdiv cache and revised minimum thread settings stick. Upon relaunch I was getting the error again and the Renderer>Advanced settings went back to default (??).
Free digital imaging ezine
www.plugsandpixels.com

Oshyan

Does this error only occur when you load a particular project file, or does it happen as soon as you start TG2? Are you using a custom default project file?

- Oshyan

plugsnpixels

I simply launched TG4, set up a new scene and tried the Quick render.

I did a Full render successfully; I am trying another to see if I get the error again (haven't relaunched TG4 yet).
www.plugsandpixels.com

plugsnpixels

No error message after another large render, but after Quit and relaunch, the settings revert to defaults.
www.plugsandpixels.com

Oshyan

There may be an error in the defaults provided in the Mac build, but I can't test that at the moment. You aren't using a custom default scene file, correct?

- Oshyan

plugsnpixels

I wasn't working from a pre-existing file, just starting anew.
www.plugsandpixels.com

Oshyan

Quote from: plugsnpixels on June 30, 2008, 07:09:48 PM
I wasn't working from a pre-existing file, just starting anew.
I understand that, but TG2 does include the ability to create and load a *custom* .tgd when you first start it, so it's possible you would be working from a customized default even before loading any project. However I would assume that's not the case from your answer. We'll investigate and get back to you...

- Oshyan

Matt

If you edit the settings for your Quick Render it will only affect your Quick Render, not the Full Render, because each render node has its own settings. I apologise if you were aware of that already, but I need to make sure.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

plugsnpixels

Thanks for the replies!

The same things occurs when I change the Full render settings, immediately Save and Quit and relaunch. Defaults return.
www.plugsandpixels.com

Matt

What about other render settings? Image width/height, detail, for example? Can you find any other settings which don't save and reload?

Can you confirm that you are doing the following:

Change some settings in Full Render.
Save the file.
Quit Terragen.
Run Terragen.
Load the file that you saved.

Matt

Tangled-Universe

Maybe it's something machine-specific. I can't recreate the error on my machine.

Martin

plugsnpixels

I just launched TP4, went immediately to Renderers>Advanced and made some changes, then saved the file as "Test". I quit TP4 (but did not Save & Quit this time), relaunched and opened the Test file. The changes to the settings stuck.

If I launch TP4 and check the settings under the default scene, the settings are at their unchanged defaults. So the changed render settings seem to stick to the file in which they are saved, and are not global to TP4 itself, which is what I hoped (so I don't have to keep resetting them).
www.plugsandpixels.com

Matt

They are specific to each render node, therefore they must be saved with the project (because a project can have as many or as few render nodes as you like). Terragen does have some settings which are independent of the project, but they are all found in Preferences.

However, if you would like to always start with your own settings, you can do this. Save a project wherever you like and then in Preferences there is an option to startup with your own custom project.

Matt

plugsnpixels

www.plugsandpixels.com