Planetside is crooked.

Started by Harvey Birdman, June 25, 2008, 12:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkydigit

Quote from: calico on June 25, 2008, 07:31:24 AM
Greg, Zylot and inky -

Who cares if there's a final product?  At least you can come here and fun.
Calico...I am not getting involved... I have enough real life shit to deal with...just cant see the point in this!... all I am saying is that.
and to be honest all this hot air is not really fun...!
however I am having fun, and will continue to do so, and with TG I am willing to wait....it will come!
take a chill pill and have a nice day!

rcallicotte

What is it with this disrespectful, "Take a chill pill."  Dude, back off.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

JimB

Calico, if you make your demands, comments, accusations, etc, etc, public on the internet, then they will be commented on. Some of those comments won't be what you want to hear, but they'll be made. Live with it, or make it private.

And when it comes to Harvey's demand being none of my business - the same. It wouldn't be if he'd made the demand privately to Planetside. Otherwise, it's an open discussion. This is not your private forum.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

inkydigit

Calico...wasnt directed entirely in your direction, however, if the cap fits....
fuck you is disrespectful, take a chill pill is not...
chill out Dude!

Will

Break it ups guys, neither side will convince the other of their position.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Sorry inky.  What you said to me didn't come out appropriately and maybe I should just stay out of this for now.  Things are harder, when it's online like this, so I apologize for my uninformed and caustic comeback.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

inkydigit

Calico...apology accepted...I'm gonna go and lie in a dark room for a while!
see ya 'round
Jason

Zylot

Why does everyone think I'm against them?

I whole heartedly agree that if you feel ripped off, you should go ask for a refund.  I understand completely why many users might not be happy with the current situation.

Harvey Birdman

I see the weasels haven't responded to this yet. Big surprise.

neuspadrin

It's a small company, and they work hard.  How are they so crooked? they've given us tech previews, which are quite great products in themselves.  I know plenty of companies that would charge $200 just for the features tp2 had.  And you say PS shows no progress and such, but what is tp3 then? they gave us it and it showed some improvement, especially with the introduction to multithreading, which helps ALOT.  I can understand that some people are disappointed in the fact that the deadlines weren't met, but I understand that they are still working hard and we already have something to play with to make us happy.  Well, at least I'm happy with it.  If this was some fraud, they would be long gone before this.  They already showed us they could make Terragen 1, let them show us how much more awesome TG2 will be when it does indeed finally release.  It's nowhere near Duke Nukem Forever ;)

Maybe I'm more lax because I do TG for a hobby to kill time, so I'm really just happy with whatever.  I would like a multithreading edition without a memory leak personally, but this is fine for now.  I can understand that maybe some people who bought it for a commercial purpose might be a little ticked, but seriously... its $200 bucks.  Thats almost nothing compared to a lot of graphics software.  And who said you EVER had to pay for it? They have a FREE edition.  The paying was for those who wished to show their SUPPORT to the company and preorder at better rates.  If you don't have any faith in PS then you shouldn't pay for a product, use the free version until you see the final product.  Personally, I'm fine with showing my support, and hope they can get us a final copy sometime soon, and when it is here i can enjoy my nice discounted software.

And seriously, first you complain they don't work on the product enough, then you complain that they don't pay attention to you here on the forums.

And finally... take a glance through the image section, and just see what this software is capable of... how is this some huge scam... by what? offering us a product that almost perfectly works and is 90% done, with 10% of bug squashing left? so planetside is just gonna ditch out so they don't have to bother debugging? They know they need to finish, and they are working on the bugs, which can be the hardest part of the program.  And they already mentioned they have put new features on freeze pretty much and are working to just make it as stable as possible for rc, and then a 2.0 gold.  And then they will start working on some of the other features they want in the software but were too pushed for time for the 2.0 release. 

Harvey Birdman

How are they crooked??? My god, have you been asleep for years?

I never complained they don't work on their project (I won't glorify it by calling it a product). They work fairly steadily. Unfortunately that is totally compromised by their crooked sales and marketing.

And if you really don't understand how they've cheated people, pay up and wait a couple of years. You may begin to understand then.

Where's my money, you worthless weasels?

Zylot

neuspadrin:

Some of us have shelled out a signifigant amount of moola for what has been essentially a incomplete product for a very long time.  Harvey sees a problem with this, I can see why.. I don't see why he shouldn't be entitled to a refund.

Harvey Birdman

neuspadrin

I have paid, and they've had my money since last year.  I may only have 30 posts, but I have been reading these forums for awhile before I even had an account, and once I created an account I didn't post but occasionally, and not more often till recently when I got out of school and had more free time to check forums and such.  And so no, I havn't been asleep for years.  I've been playing with the free version of TG for awhile, then played a bit with TP2 when it came out free version.  It wasn't until last year I felt like buying it since release was near (well, as of then it was), but when it didn't come out I felt a little bummed but not betrayed.  But I can understand how its currently going with the project.  As I said first 90% is easy, last 10% is hard.  Many companies release gold with so many bugs because they get pressured by users or they just have crappy programmers.  Then you spend the year getting the other 10% in bug fix updates.  However, PS is showing they are trying to be 100% when they complete so updates can be content, not just bug fixes.  And their decision to support multithreading is one I support since it helps ALOT.

If you want a "gold" so bad I'm sure yes, they could rush one out the door probably today.  But it would be a crappy gold with bugs still in it.  Or you can wait, and get to see a real gold release. 

I think the main problem is PS wanted to keep adding features and probably should've just frozen earlier.  But the decision to do multithreading was probably the biggest pushing back of the release, and thats easy to see.  But the fact its there makes TG2 soo much better.

And i know you guys have shelled out cash, so have i.  and personally i dont see it as a huge amount considering what you get for what you paid for. TP2 and TP3 are quite impressive, and will hold me over just fine for the money i paid for.  Hell, im a college student, and i managed to save it up and buy terragen at $200 bucks, and i was fine with that.  It only took me like a weeks pay.  it wasn't until recently i found out there was a student discount, which PS kindly gave me when I asked if I could have it. 

And i believe you should be entitled to a refund, but don't expect to get a discounted price when tg2 does finally release.

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: neuspadrin on June 25, 2008, 12:34:25 PM
And i believe you should be entitled to a refund, but don't expect to get a discounted price when tg2 does finally release.

I'll take the $200 in hand, as opposed to vaporware in the bush. I'm more than willing to take the chance; I don't think anyone will ever see a real product from this crew.

And Oshyan's business, which you repeat, of first 90% easy, last 10% hard is bullshit. If you make a statement like that you're just revealing that you don't really understand what's involved in releasing an actual commercial quality product, as opposed to a hobbyist hack job.

The first 90% takes 90% of the time and the last 10% takes 10% of the time. If you've concluded otherwise you need to re-evaluate what is involved in releasing a commercial product.