New image: Unstable Wasteland

Started by Njen, January 11, 2007, 03:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Fire

These volcano pictures just keep on getting better! Amazing!

Quote from: njen on January 30, 2007, 05:22:55 PM
...I managed to increase the time it takes to render by about 8!!   ;)
How long did it take to render? I'm guessing ages.

The orange light in the cracks is a luminescent plane. The light from the volcano is a light source.
That's a great idea - a light source in the volcano. Why didn't I think of that?

Will

hmm this is giving me an idea for what can be done with luminace terrien, think about it on a planetary scale  ;)

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

mrwho

Not happy with the original image, I have been playing around with it for the last couple of weeks. Not only am I much happier with it, I managed to increase the time it takes to render by about 8!!   ;)

There is a touch of post work to it. A few people have asked me how I did the circles of cloud and I will answer soon enough with a tgd example file once I get it sorted.

The orange light in the cracks is a luminescent plane. The light from the volcano is a light source.
Enjoy :)

WOW! please, please post the TGD file ASAP!!!

Oshyan

Holy heckfire, that's excellent! Is it rendered so small because of the time it took? If so I'd be glad to render a larger version for you. That's really worth seeing at larger size. :)

- Oshyan

Njen

Thanks everyone for the kind words. The image at that size (512 x 288) took about 14 hours to render (and my laptop is at the higher end compared to other computer setups on the TG2 bench mark site). My settings were a Detail of 0.8 and AA of 5 with all the quality settings for the clouds at 1.

I as I mentioned before, I am preparing a sample file of the circular clouds at the moment and I will hopefully be able to post it soon enough.

Your offer to render the scene is generous indeed Oshyan, and I might take you up on that. I work on a laptop and not really excited by having it on for more than 24 hours at a time. Though with the recent successful tests people have been doing about pausing renders and putting them to sleep then waking up the OS and resuming the renders I will have a go at that :)

Njen

So here is my method for doing the ring clouds, and an example file.
Cheers!

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=699.0

JimB

Lovely work!  ;D Well done that man!
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

disciplus59

dhavalmistry

how do you make luminescent planes??
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Will

The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

Dark Fire

I did say that I'd attempt to create a similar picture, so here it is. I went for a slightly more surreal look...

old_blaggard

I'm on a bad monitor right now, but even then it looks pretty dark.  I like the volcano's glow, though.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Dark Fire

Quote from: old_blaggard on February 16, 2007, 11:54:58 AM
I'm on a bad monitor right now, but even then it looks pretty dark.  I like the volcano's glow, though.
The original render was even darker - the version that has made it to the internet has been brightened up quite a lot (but I've still managed to keep the horizon black)...

By the way, if you look carefully you'll see a green mist around the volcano...