How do I set a light to only cast spec?

Started by gregsandor, June 19, 2008, 07:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: Matt on June 27, 2008, 05:17:04 PM
Thanks for showing those Greg. It looks as though you might have some luck by increasing the index of refraction and/or reflectivity on your surfaces. The highlight on the sun side would also get brighter of course, but I don't think that would be a bad thing. Perhaps in other images it wouldn't work so well. Maybe a different lighting angle will bring out the specular more; maybe this will become more apparent once it's animated. I will look into adding more controls after 2.0 "final" release.

Much more than any other feature I really would like/must have the ability to parent objects and lights to each other -- in this case I want to fly ships with pointlights in the engines, and with even a couple of ships it is impractical to individually animate each attachment.  If you have any suggestions on how I can hack that up (or induce you to add that soon) I'm eager for it.

A general solution for all objects is probably not possible for 2.0 final, but light sources would be much simpler. I have been looking into allowing light sources to be parented to other objects, nulls or light sources in a way that could be extended to all objects later on (which will require a lot more planning and testing). It really depends on how fast we get everything else done first.

Matt

Oh wow, that sounds really good Matt :) Those would be some nice features!

Matt

Quote from: gregsandor on June 28, 2008, 02:05:55 AM
Good, thanks, Matt.  I don't even require any planning and testing:  any way to make a null object follow a path, with a bunch of tie fighters attached at 0 0 0 that I can then individually raise and lower, move side to side, and alter pitch yaw and roll to give individuality to the squadron...

Actually I meant planning and testing on our part. Implementing a robust parenting system for geometry when the various components of the renderer and the interface aren't already designed to do this certainly requires a lot of planning and testing. Light sources are a simpler case where less can go wrong.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

gregsandor

That's what I meant, sort of tongue-in-cheek.  It doesn't have to be fancy; I want to be able to move a parent object to 0 0 0 and tell a bunch of other objects to each be x meters away from it, at whatever orientation.  Then when I move it to 55 100 0 or whereever, they also move and I can animate their distance and orientation in relation to the parent object rather than the world.  A simple text input in the UI by default can show "World" as parent, and can be changed to the name of the new parent object.  I can send you an example of what I mean.

Matt

I think I understand. It would be slightly simpler to implement when there's only translation of the parent to consider, but I can't really implement half-complete solutions to things at this stage unfortunately. If I get a chance to implement lightsource parenting and during the course of that it turns out that everything appears to be fairly straightfoward, I may be able to do it for all objects. There are a lot of ifs in that though ;)

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.