Crash Boom Bah

Started by rcallicotte, June 30, 2008, 05:21:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Matt (and anyone at Planetside), this is the file that crashes on load. It didn't crash until I loaded a terrain file that has been used before in TG2.  This file worked two versions ago, before TP3.  It broke when I reloaded the terrain file in one of the merged terrains.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Matt

I'll need the .ter files too. It works fine when I use my own.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

rcallicotte

They're 32Mb a piece...

rcallicotte

I tried two others that are only 8M a piece with the same result.  I replaced these inside the .TGD file and it still blows up on load.

Oshyan

Try using a service like YouSendIt.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

What email address do I send it to?

Oshyan

rcallicotte

Can you guys handle an 8M zip from my email address? 

Oshyan

Yes, we can handle up to 20MB through email.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

I can't believe this, but I'm able to get it working with some TERs, but not others.  I think maybe the difference is the size.  8M seem fine, but 32M seems like a problem.  I'm not sure it's the TGD...

Oshyan

Could it be a memory issue? How complex is the rest of the scene? How much RAM do you have?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Oshyan, before you come back to this, let me do this sort of research.  When I can, I'll check to see what it does with the merged 32M terrains.  I did this with the TP2 version (two versions ago...whatever that was) and I didn't see the same behavior.  I will probably have time tomorrow to check this out...

Quote from: Oshyan on July 02, 2008, 03:39:18 PM
Could it be a memory issue? How complex is the rest of the scene? How much RAM do you have?

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Sounds good. Thanks Calico.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

This is what I did -

I loaded two 32Mb terrains into the TGD project and tried each one separately.  Then, I merged the two together into a heightfield shader using the heightfield merge.  I did this in both the version TP2 and the version TP4.  I did this in exactly the same way in both cases. 

Nothing happened, but what is expected - it worked fine.  So...it's my conclusion that the TGD I posted here has something else weird going and that it's just a weird glitch.  It isn't worth the trouble to search it out, in my opinion, since I'm likely doing something out of the ordinary to cause this problem in the TGD listed here and I don't need it for a project.  Please do as you see is best, but I'm happy knowing I can merge two 32Mb terrains without trouble.

If you want to troubleshoot it further, fine.  But, I don't see this as an issue with your program.

Oshyan

Thanks Calico. I'll note it in the bug DB for possible future reference and leave it at that.

- Oshyan