TP4 - Black renders that take infinity to abort.

Started by Mohawk20, July 08, 2008, 12:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

I have this scene which rendered fine in older versions. It uses several home made objects.

The GI pass renders fine, but the full render pass renders only black. When I abort the render to restart TG it just hangs up, and I have to ctrl-alt-del, 'end process' to restart...
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Is it possible the objects' faces are turned inward?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

No, that's not the problem, because the objects redered at first, but now the whole scene (starting with the sky that is supposed to be blue) just stays black after rendering the buckets. It's like nothing happes, but something must be happenig because the program uses cpu, but nothing is displayed. The GI dots are displayed correctly though.

This is all very strange.

I could try to render on my other pc, but that is rendering a HQ scene right now, and not even close to finishing for the next week or so.
Howgh!

rcallicotte

Can you see the scene through the GI dots...you know, in the background?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mohawk20

That's what I said, the GI pass renders correctly, with all the right colours and lighting, but then the full render goes over it with black.

Ohw, and I get a popupaltion error for some self made buildings stating: 'Counter error in populator Pop Slums A1.obj' or in any other of the Slums populations I have.
I wonder what a 'counter error' is?
Howgh!

jo

Hi,

Quote from: Mohawk20 on July 09, 2008, 04:01:39 AM
Ohw, and I get a popupaltion error for some self made buildings stating: 'Counter error in populator Pop Slums A1.obj' or in any other of the Slums populations I have.
I wonder what a 'counter error' is?

It's a diagnostic error for us. It indicates something isn't quite right in the populator, more or less.

Regards,

Jo

Oshyan

Does this scene render if you disable the objects?

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Quote from: Oshyan on July 10, 2008, 03:13:40 AM
Does this scene render if you disable the objects?

- Oshyan

No...
It still renders black. BUT I can abort it without any problems if I disable the objects, so that's one solution. But since this scene is all about the objects (because some of them are people), I don't want to disable them...
Howgh!

Oshyan

Can you share the .tgd without the objects?

- Oshyan

Mohawk20

Sure, no prob!
And if need be I can zip the whole thin up with objects and textures and find a spot on my server for upload.

But first the tgd...
Howgh!

Matt

The black renders are probably due to a bug in the way the Atmosphere interacts with Light Sources (that's local light sources only - Sunlight and Enviro Light are OK). It became a more serious problem in Tech Preview 4 and has been fixed for Tech Preview 5 which will be available very soon.

The aborting problem may be due to a separate bug with imported objects which will also be fixed in Tech Preview 5.

Quite a few things needed to be changed in the Tech Preview 4 renderer to work around some multi-threading problems, and this introduced some new bugs. Tech Preview 5 should be more stable.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Mohawk20

Thanks Matt, looks like the final product is now very close, with all these bugs being fixed...

It could indeed be something with lightsources, because it started after adding a Light Source near to the camera... On the other hand, I'm doing that cave scene with Light Sources. Though I deactivated the atmo there...

Anywho, I'll just wait for TP5 (which should be the last before the Final release, because you're running out of numbers... or will TP6 be 1.99.9999.99.9?  :P).
Howgh!