Crash upon save, all the time

Started by Maximus, July 13, 2008, 08:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

You're welcome Jo, i hope those files helps you track down this problem.

TG2 crashes or rather freezes and ends up in a infinite loop as it tries to save them but when it's unable to finish the operation i have to terminate the TG2 process myself and then end up with incomplete saved files which i then cannot reload again. Although sometimes it does crash upon save when i'm not killing the process or leaving it for a while to see what happens.

One thing i noticed about this as i did tests on my own is that TG2 crashes/freezes less when i'm not using a externally created heightfield file such as a landscape created with World Machine 2 and then saved as a Terragen file and imported into TG2. I'll try to explain it simpler below, in plain english. :)

- Using heightfield from WM2 and saving created landscape scenefile in TG2 causes crash/freeze.
- Using only TG2 generated landscapes with no WM2 landscapes in it causes almost no crashes

The problems seems to be whenever it uses any type of external files, it fails to "bake" them into the TG2 file and then the whole application goes down the drain. That's pretty much what i can see from where i'm sitting now.

/ Magnus

Oshyan

Can you send one of the *working* scene files, *before* the save-crash? Are there any "unusual" paths or file names in your project? Can you provide one of the terrain files that appears to cause a problem?

- Oshyan

Maximus

Oshyan: Yes i will provide more files, including the Terragen files that World Machine 2 outputs so you can test them and see that they appear to cause trouble when included in the Terragen 2 scenes, if they're excluded TG2 rarely crashes. But if they're included in a TG2 scene you cannot save your TG2 scenes. I'm sorry my reply has been very delayed here but i had a systemcrash about a week ago and i lost a lot of stuff so i'm working to recover as much as possible and also reinstalling stuff again. Once i got my whole system up and running again then i will upload the files you want and i hope those will help you track down these problems.

/ Magnus

Oshyan

Sounds good, though I'm sorry to hear about your system crash. :( I hope we can get the save problem resolved once you can send the files.

- Oshyan