Opiate Receptor WIP

Started by Ayamikhan, July 15, 2008, 06:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayamikhan

Mu Opiate Receptor,
Rendered in Mac OS Classic on PowerPC 5500/275,
from MRI data converted for use as a height field in Terragen Mac 0.9

Render time 11 hours for 1024x768, at 275 MHz, total system RAM 128 Mb.

N.B. Work in progress/preview :
completion of this scene will be done in Blender and rendered in POVMan and RenderMan.

1280x1024 version here : Opiate-Receptor-WIP-90754589

rcallicotte

I like everything until it hits the horizon.  The terrain and its textures are cool.  The clouds could use some changes.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Ayamikhan

Thank you

The clouds are one of the reasons why I'm going to finish it in Blender and volume render in POVMan and RenderMan.
Then I will have a lot more control over the exact shape of the clouds, particularly, to define where the holes are and what shape, which is an important part of the final animation.

rcallicotte

I didn't realize this would be an animation.  How can we see the final?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

i didn't see any good clouds in blender yet... but i know there is a new fonction in it specialy for that ! ^^

Ayamikhan

Calico,
It will take ages yet, but when done the animation will be posted in my DeviantART gallery, and possibly on Youtube as well for easier embedding in a tutorial using it as an example of cross platform, data format conversion and rendering export on the Blender to RenderMan Blog, of which I am co admin and a contributing author.

Part of the idea behind this scene is to use conversion and import of real world scientific data out of context, and custom procedural modeling of scientific data, and so on. Details of what will be added to the scene before completion I will keep to myself for now.

Another important part of this scene is that I've had Terragen for nearly a decade and hardly had the time for 3D of any kind outside of work. This image is the fourth render I've done in Terragen since 2000. The previous ones were test renders using DEM data of the Grand Canyon, CO, USA and Kokohead Peninsula, Hawaii.

I will post links here to the completed animation when done, as well as adding a still of the completed scene.

Seth,
Blender's default clouds are painted on a sky and are 2D. There is no way to position the Sun behind them using this method. I will be using volume clouds within a specifically shaped boundary mesh with full transparency, and no specularity, shadow reception, reflection or any other visibility.

Then I can create clouds within this exported volume cloud zone using POVMan and Renderman. POVRay/MegaPOV/POVMan's DF3 volume rendered clouds are worth looking at and I would recommend them as a way to go for anyone considering creating a Terragen > POV export plugin.

Seth

Ayamikhan

Quote from: seth93 on July 16, 2008, 05:14:50 AM
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118973

are you sure those clouds 2D ?!

Of course they're not 2D. But, they're not Blender's default clouds either :)
This is a recent development. An excellent one as well, especially for anyone using Ter2Blend.

Phylloxera

Afflicted but there are really few interesting things in this image, if it is not this lighting shaving on the ground!