Valles Marineris (TG 0.9 with MOLA data) ATMOSPHERE UPDATED

Started by MF_Erwan, July 19, 2008, 07:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MF_Erwan

rcallicotte

Pretty good for .9, though a little grainy.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mahnmut

Hi elegac,
nice view.
Using MOLA Data was the first thing I did with TG09.
I found it quite hard to get the sense of scale.
Your valles looks as big as anything I could achieve back then, but maybe it still isn´t big enough.
I don´t know if you used exact measurements, but to me it looks as if your POV was quite high up, maybe your atmosphere should be less dense.
For the other problem I see I couldn´t find a solution either:
Even the best available data are blurred enough to make steep rocks look like gentle slopes.
So, I see some posible improvements, but I couldn´t make it better myself!
Best Rgards,
Jan

MF_Erwan

MacGyver

What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. - Augustine

Mahnmut

Yep, that´s good.
I didn´t remember how fast TG09 is.
Best regards, Jan

Cyber-Angel

What altitude are you rendering on your post that says "Atmosphere updated:"? As the sky on Mars that I've seen looks nothing like that, there is no black visible in the martian sky as you've depicted the atmosphere on Mars is too thick, at least in the imagery I've seen any way!

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel  ;D       

Mahnmut

Dear Angel of Impact:
I know this is not my thread, but because I was the one that suggested the thinner atmosphere I feel free to give my reasons, elegac, correct me if I am wrong:
If I am not mistaken we see Coprates Catena in the left middleground and looking towards Eos Chasma we can see the Geryon Montes on the horizon to the left.
That means horizon is about a thousand kilometers away.
Considering Mars´ radius of ca. 3400 km we get about 148 km for the altitude of the POV.
That should be quite above the summer smog. ;)

(Oh please don´t let me be wrong, that would be so embarrassing) :-[

Best Regards,
Jan