Procedural Terrain Library

Started by rcallicotte, July 21, 2008, 10:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zairyn Arsyn

thanks for sharing your terrain frank, :)
maybe later on I'll get around to using it. :D
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

TheBlackHole

Here's my procedural volcanic planet. It's not that great.  :(

.. .:
                   . ::
                   /   \
                  /     \
                 /       \
__________/         \___________
EDIT: Fixed dumb capitalization error, added text art of a volcano.
They just issued a tornado warning and said to stay away from windows. Does that mean I can't use my computer?

Zairyn Arsyn

thanks frank, your volcano world .tgd is basically the thing i need for my next project.
:):)
WARNING! WIZARDS! DO NOT PREDICT THE BEHAVIOR OF OTTERS UNLESS YOU OBEY BIG HAPPY TOES.

i7 2600k 3.4GHZ|G.skill 16GB 1600MHZ|Asus P8P67 EVO|Evga 770GTX 4GB|SB X-FI|Antec 750W
http://zlain81.deviantart.com/

CCC

Here are three types of strata rock layer terrains.

Tangled-Universe

The base for this image.

MGebhart

Very nice canyon file. I will study the node network to come up with something I understand.

Marc
Marc Gebhart

Goms

some lakes and small mountains. a first idea for a "larger" terrain library.
The beaches are made for a water level of 0.

"plastic":

and with some default surface and clouds:

Quote from: FrankB
you're never going to finish this image ;-)

Hetzen

Thanks Goms. I always like to have a look at your work, you have some interesting ways of doing things. I made something similar for 'equalising' displacment below a certain height before, but your method is a lot more elegant. Could I ask what is the logic within your basic landscape group, ie what's the advantage of masking your huge and smaller structures with the same initial noise PF with the colour adjuster?

Goms

In this case i wanted to have mountains with "higher" slopes but also some plain areas and of course a smooth beach.
The idea behind the blending is to control the roughness of the different areas. If you use the same noise seed as blendshader, you will have the rough mountains and smooth plains.
Also you get an "overall slope" thats not linear but kind of a square function.
Some Images to explain:

This is what the first fractal would look like w/o blending:

And this with blending it with the same noise:

The same is for the smaller fractal. without blending:

And with:

You get decent slopes and roughness in the plain areas while having nice rough mountains.
I think you can get the same think with a few distribution shaders, but imho this is easier.
Also you can control offset, roughness of the initial noise etc to get very different results.

domdib

Thanks Goms - I agree with Hetzen that you always provide food for thought and study.

Goms

Thx. The strange thing is, i never get to finish a picture. :D
I always get distracted with something else...

Hetzen

Ha ha. I'm constantly trying to work out how to do stuff in this program, to the point of getting lost in the weeds.

Thanks for taking time and walking us through this. I've never thought of using the same seed to 'dumb' down before. Interesting.

I also like the way you've used the redirect to get 'folds' in your displacements. I'm going to have to play with that.

microwar

Found a nice mountain in a random click.
Create a new, and set heihgfield generate 01 to:
Feature scale 4000
Seed 8921
And Tweek fractal to unclamped multifractal.

This is in the upper right corner.

Floating.Point

Wow!

Goms, thanks for inadvertently opening my eyes- revealing your techniques for a beautiful balance between mountain and plains. Ill probably lose my job now, because I will be so tired every day from working in with TG all night, every night! 

In all seriousness, thanks so much- this is something I have been trying to work out for some time! Im going to go dig through your TGC now :)

schmeerlap

Mescadia basic (procedural) terrain (minus the cylindrical projected Image Map Displacement).
Basically two PF displacements merged, and then an S&O shader applied.
I've left the surface shaders and water in the tgd so it's a terrain file +.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.