Procedural Terrain Library

Started by rcallicotte, July 21, 2008, 10:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

Here is a sinkhole.
But when you change the "Displacement amplitude" in the "Fractal terrain 01" node you can get a rock tower like the second image.
[attach=1]
I used the sinkhole in the VR contest. I posted some wip  images of the rock tower version here around but can't find it.

AndyWelder

Thank you, Kadri. I promise I will respectfully dissect this one.  ;D
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 22, 2017, 04:11:29 PM

Here is a sinkhole.
But when you change the "Dsiplacement amplitude" in the "Fractal terrain 01" node you can get a rock tower like the second image.
[attach=1]
I used the sinkhole in the VR contest. I posted some wip  images of the rock tower version here around but can't find it.

Absolutely beautiful. Getting such a nice rock effect just by using a warp shader with extra roughness on a strata layer. Amazing.

Kadri

Thanks guys, have fun :)

Unlike the file above these files need more work unfortunately.
I got bored testing on them.
Hope you find them still useful.
It is a basic version that i used here in different ways:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20419.msg237689.html#msg237689

I showed the foreground in the first file just to show the problematic parts.
From faraway it "kinda" works. There is no strata node in this and the second file.

The second snowy one is just another different test.

The third file is from 7 years ago and was a different try with the strata node.
I wanted to play with it some day ones again, but it was just sitting around on my hard drive unnecessarily.

AP

The "02_sinkhole and rock tower" image appears somewhat reminiscent of such terrain features represented from this photograph.

https://images.robertharding.com/preview/RM/RH/HORIZONTAL/6-2352.jpg

Dune

Interesting stuff, guys. The funny thing is, I really don't use rocks for my work, but I'm constantly drawn to test new setups to get nice rock displacements. They're awfully intriguing.

AndyWelder

Quote...when you change the "Displacement amplitude" in the "Fractal terrain 01" node you can get a rock tower
Shouldn't that be the "Displacement offset"?

Kadri

I wrote just one way. There are more ways to get that effect as always in Terragen.

Kadri

Use 11000 instead of 15000 in displacement amplitude for example.

Or use only 3000 instead of 1900 in displacement offset.

Or change displacement spike limit to "0.3" etc.

Kadri

Andy you know Terragen is such a beast even when you only change the noise variation from "2" to "2.6" you get a rock tower.
That is what makes it hard to test but still fun to play :)

AndyWelder

Thank you, Kadri, for explaining this.  And indeed, this beast has to be approached with subtile moves most of the times...

Kadri

Quote from: AndyWelder on August 23, 2017, 01:54:29 PM
Thank you, Kadri, for explaining this.  And indeed, this beast has to be approached with subtile moves most of the times...

:)

Quote from: Dune on August 23, 2017, 02:38:28 AM
...I'm constantly drawn to test new setups to get nice rock displacements. They're awfully intriguing.

Indeed :)

Kadri

Posting clouds in this section sounds a little strange.
Have a look at this file from this thread and play with it as you like:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24508.msg248997.html#msg248997

The file might be a little different and is without the texture image. Use any image you like instead.