Morning

Started by dandelO, August 04, 2008, 09:57:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

Everything in this image was built to match <a href="http://www.terranuts.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=31670&amp;catid=newimages" target="_blank">Gservo from Terranuts original photo</a>. 

I like these kind of shots, it has kind of the same feel to it as my '<a href="http://dandel0.deviantart.com/art/Neue-Elbbrucke-70310079" target="_blank">Neue Elbbrucke</a>' image(another photo recreation), I think.

Trees, poles/posts, bandstand and fence were made in Carrara.

The skyline was made in Photoshop and is used as two alpha planes at varying distances inside TG2. The terrain was also made in Photoshop.

There's a little too much clouds at the horizon, and a little too much pink in the reflections and atmosphere but trying to recreate the yellow tinge seen in the photo created a real headache in the form of a green sky in Terragen 2.

I think that's an early-bird in the sky in the original picture... It is now anyway!

[attachimg=#]

Thanks for looking! :)

Saurav

That is an excellent replication. Only enhancements I can suggest is to maybe use a very slight DOF to replicate the photo more and the blurs from the DOF might allow you to get the circular blurs present on water reflections. Anyway I really like the results you achieved. :)

inkydigit

superb effort and result!

dandelO

20alex

Wow, that is incredibly like the original photograph! I'm sure with a bit of DOF tweaking (as said before) you could fool anybody that your render is a photograph. Couldn't you make a yellow tinge in Photoshop if you're not quite happy with the pink?

Great job, anyway, the composition is identical on both images! Still can't get over that... :P

rcallicotte

Very nice!  When you say "made in Photoshop", do you mean postwork or that the stuff was actually made in Photoshop and moved to TG2?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

Thanks.

The skyline was painted in PS(two seperate black and white only images) and then taken into TG2 and applied to 2 vertical planes at varying distances from the camera via an image map shader(object UV option simply stretches the image according to the plane's dimensions). The 'create transparency' button in the effects tab omits the upper half(sky above the buildings) and paints only the buildings themselves, with the rest of the plane transparent.

The terrain is just a simple b+w imagemap as well, applied to a displacement shader.

Those trees... 2d planes aswell!

The bandstand, the two different lamposts and the fence are all fully 3d models. There's a transparency shader on the light globes but they're so small as to not be visible, except maybe on the closest one(in front of the trees) there's a lightsource inside that one, the rest are in sillouhette in the photo anyway.

The bird is a smudged dab of a brush in PS afterwards in the postwork, which is limited to colour balancing, tidying up the skyline a little, a slight 'burn' brush along the bottom to darken the ground a bit, the nuts and bolts on the fence are also postworked in afterwards and a touch of lensflare as a cherry on top.

Here's the original render straight out of TG, if you open them both in different tabs and flick back and forth you'll see there's really very little postwork...

The whole thing rendered in 55 minutes, on 1 core. Simple but effective, eh?

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte

I love both and look forward to more of what we can do!  Thanks for sharing your methods and nice art.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mr_Lamppost

I don't remember exactly what settings I used but it is definitely possible to get the yellow rather than pink horizon tint without the sky taking on an overly green tinge.

The only thing which is immediately obvious as a rendered 3D object is the foreground fence.  The give away is the perfectly smooth surface, adding a small amount of displacement and or variation in colour and specularity would fix this. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.