crops update II

Started by Mahnmut, July 20, 2008, 08:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

After my candy-impact now something a little more realistic.
I tried to capture the general mood of an evening in the fields near where I live.

Main problem in this render was the 3 population limit of the free version and my way to slow PC.
The population of wheat (Thanks Sonshine777@ashundar) alone took me 7 hours in lowest quality.
Bushes are from Lightning, also many thanks. Trees Xfrog.
I would have loved to use Lightnings common ash on the horizon, but for some reason I can´t download more than 10-12mb from Ashundar before it cuts me of.
I did a lot of "cropy and paste", which is still visible because I can´t use my beloved Photoshop at the moment.
In short:hopefully there will be another version , but here is the first:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3136/2686555533_8c9bd3e967_o.jpg

C&C welcome,
Best Regards
Jan

Oshyan

I'd say specular (shinyness) is too high on most objects, but otherwise a promising beginning.

- Oshyan

Mahnmut

Thanks Oshyan.
Can you tell me if different amounts of specularity influence the rendertime?
That would be worth a try.
Concerning the effect I would rather prefer even more reflection on the wheat, but maybe that is a question of the sun hight.
On that evening that inspired this image the field appeared golden to nearly white, that was quite impressing. Had not brought my camera though.
Best Regards,
Jan

mr-miley

Mahnmut

I agree with Oshyan about the shinyness, but other than that this does have real potential. The composition is superb and the sky is just about spot on already.

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

EBAndrew

Wow, nicely done! I was on a plane over Edmonton a couple weeks ago and saw fields like this from above, and while it wasn't the first time I had seen them from that angle it was the first time I paid attention and wanted to try something like this. I've been way too busy to even consider such an endeavor, but it's cool to see it still realized.

I'd agree about the spec, though I wonder if it might be less noticeable if it was rendered in a higher resolution. It still needs to be taken down, but... Either way. The sky is fantastic, the colors and shapes of the clouds really work with the rest of the image.

Maybe I won't make that bridge - you seem to be well on your way with other things! :P

-A
-Andrew

Oshyan

If the specular was less sharp perhaps - higher reflection spread or something - it might work better. I don't think less specularity renders faster; only if you turn it off completely.

- Oshyan

Mahnmut

Thanks to all!
I see that there is a problem with the specularity.
Maybe a denser population with more than lowest quality would be the solution, but not as long as my slow, loud computer stands in the same room I live and sleep in.
At the moment I am trying to solve it by postwork and I think it will be good.
If the sun comes out in the evening I´ll try to take a photo of that effect I want. Maybe I try Buzzzzz1s amazing method, you will see that the specularity isn´t to much but just in the wrong places.

@ Andrew: Glad you like this , but the bridge project isn´t dead. I think a lot of people here in the forum would like to use your bridge. But as I said, take all the time you need!

Mahnmut

Ok, here is the postworked version.
the flowers are photographs from the real place, although they should be a little more subtle.

That is more or less the effect I was looking for, maybe it is more of a translucency thing than reflectivity.
I should try some kind of golden cloud layer over the field.
anyhow, I like it.

C&C welcome,
Best Regards,
Jan

Oshyan

It looks like it is definitely translucency in your example picture. There is some specularity, but the majority of the "glow" comes from backlighting through translucency parts of the wheat. Reproducing that effect would be very cool.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

That indeed looks more like translucency rather than specularity.
If you're proceeding with improving this concept you should also bear in mind that you will have to apply more or less the same settings to the other grasses and tree-leaves.
Now your wheat looks very shiny but the foreground grass is very dark compared to the wheat.

Martin

Mahnmut

This is the best I can achieve without blowing my rendertimes through the ceiling.
It took me 8 hours on my old PC. That wouldn´t be a problem if I could sleep while my computer is on.
Until I can afford a new PC or find someone to render it for me this is it.
No postwork besides slight contrast enhancement.

Best regards,
Jan

Oshyan

I'd say that's a very nice result! Still some sharp speculars apparent on the trees, but otherwise excellent.

- Oshyan