Nice new 64 bit version here...

Started by monks, April 20, 2011, 10:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monks

Oshyan

Wow, you're on that fast! Hehe. We just released like 10 mins ago. Good work. ;D

- Oshyan

monks

hahaha...coincidence, I just had a crash with a water object and when I fired TG up again, it pointed me to the update. I thought it was wrong cbecause it's not long since we had one, but there was the 64 bit.

Anyway congrats guys on the release!

monks

Henry Blewer

I am just getting it shortly. It will be cool if I can import water simulations from Blender; like running water from a fountain.
http://flickr.com/photos/njeneb/
Forget Tuesday; It's just Monday spelled with a T

Draigr

I can finally use my ram!!! :D

This user is definitely one happy chappy. No more errors due to memory problems!

Henry Blewer

I like the new color picker. It's much better than the Windows one. I have noticed a great speed increase on the first GI pass. The 64 bit optimization may not make much difference on my old 3 GHz, P4HT and 533 MHz ram speed. But every bit helps! The best part is the notes node. Now I can figure out what I was trying to do the year before by leaving an explanation. Thanks!

monks

I'd just be happy with a well placed lake right now njeneb  ;D

monks

Henry Blewer

I just noticed the terrain preview window is much faster. That is worth a lot for me; this will speed up my workflow.

AndyWelder

Great, now we can play with all the power that our systems have to offer!
Euuh, is there something I have to enable? Because a re-run of a render I did on the 32-bits version yesterday took several minutes longer with the 64-bit version?! And this Win7 64-bits system is quad core with 6 GB RAM....
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Oshyan

Quote from: AndyWelder on April 21, 2011, 11:38:11 AM
Great, now we can play with all the power that our systems have to offer!
Euuh, is there something I have to enable? Because a re-run of a render I did on the 32-bits version yesterday took several minutes longer with the 64-bit version?! And this Win7 64-bits system is quad core with 6 GB RAM....

As long as you're running the 64 bit version (a separate download and install), then any benefits it brings should be automatic. In our testing we've seen performance improvements in almost all cases, but it's possible there are some exceptions. If so I'd be interested in seeing the scene.

- Oshyan

AndyWelder

QuoteIf so I'd be interested in seeing the scene.
Here they are, both the 32 and 64-bit rendered versions. The "c" version took 28 min., the "b" version 25 min. Looking at the more detailed clouds I'd say it's worth the longer render time though.

Oshyan

Odd that there are so many differences (although *some* differences are not surprising). There should not be a quality improvement with 64 bit. These are both with the 2.3 update and exact same settings?

- Oshyan

AndyWelder

QuoteThese are both with the 2.3 update and exact same settings?
??? The 32 bit version was 22231, the 64 bit version is the 23201-64 one.

Edit: The settings are exactly the same.

Oshyan

Ah, well that might explain the difference then (visually speaking, and also potentially in terms of performance). Nothing comes immediately to mind that should negatively affect performance that much between versions though. Can you test on another scene?

- Oshyan