Lightning Bolt Test

Started by sonshine777, July 30, 2008, 02:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hetzen

What is your object shaders basic colour? Is it black?

PG

No light blue. It's the exact same material shader sonshine provided except I've changed the colour and luminance values.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

Mr_Lamppost

This looked like it should work so I made some tests and it is working for me.  I pushed the luminosity up to 128.

The first one shows the lighting on the ground and the second has a cloud layer, which works quite well. You might need to experiment with the GI settings, I just wanted to prove that it worked.

The .tgd files are there as well; you will probably need to fix the object path.
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Mr_Lamppost

I assume you were after coloured lightning.  This is possible

There is a complex relationship between the Luminosity Colour and the overall luminosity value.  I can't begin to understand this, by now I must have made over a hundred tests and have listened to a lot of Messiaen, If my neighbour doesn't like Messiaen he can come and figure this out and be thankful that it wasn't a full on Stockhausen or Steve Reich problem. (Drumming on repeat.  Nice  ;D ).

For the example below I just took the second .tgd from my last post, opened the default shader attached to the lightning object and edited the Luminosity colour/value.  I first ser the luminosity colour to < R=32, G=24, B=16 > and then set the luminosity value to 128. 

If someone can explain EXACTLY how these values interact, (I assume that the diffuse colour plays a part), my neighbour will love you for ever.

Fortunately the values you set are saved.  If you try to reset the colour you have to remember to reset the luminosity and like wise if you want to change the luminosity you have to reset the colour first.  But they are preserved if you open a saved file.

This is dead cool; I wish I had tried it earlier, last week I spent hours trying to hide lights in the clouds, render times through the roof and results that didn't come near.  Belgium!

cyphyr

Great work here. Last time I tried anything similar was a few terragen iterations ago, that time I think I was trying luminous windows and although it should have worked the whole GI side of the renderer just wasn't up to the job yet. Horrible speckles all over the place! Glad to see its all working now, er.. rather well actually :)

Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Mr_Lamppost

I think this works because the lightning models are big.  Smaller points of illumination like windows get missed in the GI calculations.  I couldn't get the real world scaled lamp on my tubular steel lighting column to cast light at all. 

Tubular steel lighting columns, (Crap modern lampposts to you ):
http://www.ashundar.com/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item379

I am sure that I read a comment from Matt about objects casting light but I'm buggered (Messiaen, Des Canyons zux étolies now. Oh and the large amount of fermented joy juice I have imbibed in the last few hours. ;D ), is not helping, These grins are not silly enough.  ;D ;D
about any object being able to cast light.   

PG

The superportal is almost candesant in the amount of light it emits. I pumped the luminousity to 600 but I think it needs something else to give it the really powerful glow It looks a little lighter when the sunlight hits it but still little more than if I used a light diffuse colour. I'll probably add light sources up the shaft of the bolt and play around with the specular as well

Edit: Ok well increasing the specular to 150 and changing the colour to a light blue gave the outline a nice creepy blue aura but radiance was still non-existant and the rest of the object was still the same dark blue so I took the idiot route and increased the specular again, this time to 350. Unsurprisingly I didn't get the result I wanted. I did however get this Psychadelic :o
Figured out how to do clicky signatures