Suicidegirlz

Started by rcallicotte, July 30, 2008, 03:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Has anyone heard what's really going on with Robert over at Renderosity?  Apparently, there are accusations of copyright infringement.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Seth

rcallicotte

LOL 

I guess you'd have to keep up with it.  One of the Rendorosity vendors lost their store site, due to some apparent mixups about textures being used that didn't belong to him.  Hopefully it will get straightened out, but if you want to read what he's saying - http://www.suicidegirlz.com

The reason I ask is that I know some Rendo people come here and might have actually known something.

Natolii

It is not a simple mix up in textures. Not when all of his characters are involved. I cannot get into more details, only that Daz3D is the party he wronged.

rcallicotte

I heard something like what you've mentioned.  And his 24 hours were up 48 hours ago...so, it doesn't look good for him.

Nevertheless, I'll wait and see.

rcallicotte

An update...

"Hope to start selling the characters again on Monday or Tuesday from our website and get the update over to Renderosity to correct the problem. Also have a few new characters coming as well."

Robert

Bella

I just wanted to point out also that it certainly was not a mix up or mistake as DAZ was not the only party to have thier material included in ALL his packages..

moodflow

is this the Robert from the forums here?
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

@moodflow, I don't know.

@Bella - Who cares, until it's settled?  Rumors and speculation and Internet chats aren't going to straighten it out.  If DAZ was offended, then maybe it's better that Robert and DAZ (or whoever) work it out.  Until then, it's just speculation.  DAZ hasn't issued a statement.  Rendo hadn't issued a statement.  Robert claims it's getting settled and, if so, this is good for the consumer.

Wrong or right in what he has done, Robert's talented and unique work was attacked like a bunch of damned vultures.  We scarcely see unique talent on Rendo for characters and he was an exception. 

moodflow

Have a link to Roberts work?  I wasn't able to find anything at renderosity about this.
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

http://www.suicidegirlz.com

He just posted his work again, after about a week.  His site was taken down at DAZ and Renderosity, but it looks like he has redone his work and is reselling again.  His characters aren't the usual and have been high quality so far.

bellissima95

They were only high quality because he used only the best copyrighted material in them. They certainly aren't the same characters any more now that he had to take all the illegal stuff out. I've seen them---they sure don't look like they used to with DAZ's textures and differnt eyes. They look so bland now. And if the tattoo places complain about the tattoo flash he's been putting on them, they wouldn't be worth the electronic paper they're written on.  ::) I see he no longer says they're all original hand painted tattoos. Must be because he was just overlaying flash onto the textures, which anyone could do if they didn't mind breaking tons of copyright laws.

I don't see why anyone would still defend him, regardless of the work he did (or didn't) do, considering that he stole from and lied to everyone that ever bought a character from him. It's this kind of behavior that gives 3D a bad name when everyone's copyright material is taken and abused like that. I don't have any tolerance for copyright thieves, and if you've ever done any work you're proud of, you shouldn't either.

rcallicotte

I disagree with your assessments. 

As far as copyright law, I'm not breaking any and, as far as I know, he isn't.

Bella

Actually he did break copyright laws.  The minute he uploaded products that in the read me stated that he himself had created 100% off all of the contents without the aid of any outside resources and claimed that he 100% owned the material included in his products, which he did not, he even admited to "inadvertantly" including files that he should not have, now if it had been a one time thing I would be willing to overlook that but it wasnt a 1 time thing it was each and every one of his products that he created that contained nothing 100 % original to him at all.  But besides that I bought the original characters believing that he had created all of it, had lovingly and painstakingly hand drawn each tattoo (which he claimed over and over again) only to find that if I do a search for free flash on google I can overlay those same tattoos on any texture I please :( 

Now like Calico I was ready to give the benefit of the doubt and anxiously awaited his updates, which I have since recieved and I have to say.. in my humble opinion these characters no longer even resemble the ones I purchased originally (even though his thumbs on his page show the same older characters) EVERY piece of the textures.. everything  of them has been replaced, even some of the morphs are different which leaves me with characters that I would not have bought as thier quality is no where near what I had originally purchased, and now that I knw that I can simply apply the tattoo flash myself (getting the proper permissions from the respective flash artists of course) to any of my already owned characters I can only say that I was highly dissapointed in the updates and in Robert himself, if for no other reason than he has proved twice (once when he sold me material that he did not create or own the rights to use and once when he sent me the updates which turned out to be nothing like the originals in content or quality) that he is not worth my giving him my trust or respect.

That being said I am not attempting, nor will not attempt to persuade anyone to change thier opinions of him as if people want to throw good money after bad at him that is thier choice, however with the amount of other artist out there that actually have talent I cant see where I personally will ever give him the time of day in the future.. let alone any of my money.