errors with obj's

Started by Kevin F, August 06, 2008, 12:30:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin F

Anyone else noticed that if you get a list of error messages such as "unknown error in traceray" etc. when using obj's, that no matter what you then do to change the scene (even go back to before the last change) the same errors persist. Even if you close down TG and go back to the original scene BEFORE any changes were made it still reports errors. It's as if TG flags the file as problematic.

There also still a problem with preview renders. The more you preview render a scene the longer it takes to display the scene after completing the render. Eventually a crash occurs. Presumably this is a memory leak problem?

PG

Can't say I've ever had that problem to be honest. Wavefront object files are basically just a hash table of vertices, normals, texture coordinates, faces and a link to a related material file. If a traceray method is throwing an exception when you use a particular object file and the error is not one that the planetside team have handled then I'd most likely assume it'd be to do with the vertex normals of the model. I assume you've removed the model and found the error to disappear. Try selecting the flip normals checkbox in the object reader node.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

jo

Hi Kevin,

Not sure about your obj problems.

Quote from: Kevin F on August 06, 2008, 12:30:28 PM
There also still a problem with preview renders. The more you preview render a scene the longer it takes to display the scene after completing the render. Eventually a crash occurs. Presumably this is a memory leak problem?

I've fixed this problem recently, and it will be resolved for the next update (not sure when that will be). It isn't a memory leak, it was something else. Unfortunately the only workaround I can think of would be to quit and restart TG2 every few renders, and definitely do that before your final render. Actually, you might not have to quit and restart. If you save the project and then open it again (using the Open Recent menu perhaps) you should be ok for a bit again. Still a pain, but less of a pain. I will give this a whirl and post again if saving and reopening doesn't work.

Regards,

Jo