Replace mattepainting?

Started by bri, August 07, 2008, 09:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bri

Do you think Terragen could ever replace Mattepainting for movie backgrounds? I know not right now, but when some of the best "TG-ers"  become even more familiar with the program, couldn't it be a possibility? I don't think it could replace mattepainting 100%, mainly because of the layers needed for animating objects, but I think it could be a very major part in the process.

What do you think?

*This question came to me, because I want to be a concept artist, and I was thinking about doing TG renders on the side... but then I realized that there aren't any jobs that utilize Terragen very much, if at all. :-\

rcallicotte

Actually, TG2 has been used already for that.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

bri

In a film? Do you know the title? I wanna check it out.   :D

Oh, are you talking about that movie Stealth(I think)?

rcallicotte

"Golden Compass", Star Trek (don't remember which one), "Stealth", others (I think) and a few commercials.  Oh yeah, and the beginning of one TV show.

bri

...Oh, well then, disregard this thread then :D

Thanks.

rcallicotte

Cyber-Angel

Since Digital Domain was involved with the Golden Compass it is likely that if they where involved in digital terrain creation they would have used their derivative version of TG2 called EnGen which is based on the same base source as TG2: it is the same software Digital Domain used on Stealth and Flags Of Our Fathers.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

rcallicotte

Actually, JimB worked on "Golden Compass" using TG2.

pagan

I am going to try 3d matte in my current project, hopefully I can upload some screenshot soon, in the meantime here is a nice tutorial form 3dstuff to do once you have rendered your nice landscape form TG2

http://www.3dfluff.com/cameramapping/cameramappingtut.htm

lightning

i do matte painting with terragen 2 i integrate it with all sorts of programs mainly maya and c4d where i do camera mapping and particle effects
terragen will defiantly not replace traditional matte painting instead it will integrate into a matte painters tool set and when these render times come down it will be a vital tool in a matte painters arsenal.
so most matte paintings in the future will have some sort of procedural tech wheather it be clouds terrain or vegetation woven into it

rcallicotte

I agree with lightning.  The hope is that in the future some of these tools will integrate.

bri

Thanks guys. I guess I wasn't very aware of TG2's capabilities  :D