Dino Field

Started by rcallicotte, August 09, 2008, 10:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I had (have?) plans to include some dinosaurs and dragons, but this worked out pretty well.  Free grass is a combination of lightning and someone else's along with the Silver Birch (lightning's again).  Fir trees in the far background are xFrog. 

http://calico1.deviantart.com/art/Dino-vs-Dragon-94300049
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Tangled-Universe

Skip those Dinosaurs and dragons, this looks fine so far ;)
There are 2 things I especially like here: first the lighting on the foreground trees, maybe a tad too bright on the bark, but the lighting on the leaves looks excellent...second is the density shading of your grass-populations. I find these very realistic, well done!
A couple of minor crits I have is that you could try a slightly different lighting angle because everything seems a bit front-lit if you know what I mean. You could also try to add slightly more color variations in the grass. However, it looks quite nice already so it's really a minor point. I think the best thing you could do, if you feel up to it, is to lower the coverage of the firs on the background mountain and do some extra texturing and displacements on the rocks. It's an interesting shape already but fully covered with trees. I'd like to see some more of it :)
All in all good work!

Martin

moodflow

Woah, this looks phenomenal Calico!  Very nice work man.   8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

rcallicotte

Thanks guys.  Compliments are nice and I'll pay attention to your crits, TU.   The dinos didn't seem to work with this. 

I increased the lighting, after hearing Lightning talk about how he cranked up his values.  That really did seem to help with so much foliage.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mahnmut

I love your foreground, but I´d ask myself "why did I take this photo".
It needs some kind of focus in my opinion, if it is a dinosaur or dragon, or perhaps a mouse on a bald spot between the grass.
Or some scheme in the shadow of the forest.
Do you have any dragons?
I love those.
Someone just told me that my "conjunction" is missing something, ;)
and he may be true although it already has two suns,two moons and two magical towers in it!
I also liked Schmeerlaps camels on the road to Quandahar although there where some who didn´t.
Best Regards,
Jan

lightning

very nice man i like the distribution thanks for using my trees ;D see it does make a difference when you increase the sun light power the back ground mountains need a little work do you use height fields?
if you do i would flatten that piece of terrain and just plonk highland mountain range ter file there it would add more depth to the picture just my opinion though
the lightnings really something special though!

Mandrake

I like what you did with the grass here Calico. I read a bit about it in a mention to ob, but still don't get it. Did you tie a color thing to the fractal breakup of the grass somehow? Makes sense to me that there may be more water along this fractal breakup and make the grass more green.

Phylloxera

Are the plants and trees used natural, on the other hand the distribution is to be re-examined, not grass under the trees, a cover of the very important mountain, too important by trees, whereas the mountain behind is naked? An image to be worked again it seems to me and which will be only better. Perhaps is necessary it to add other species of trees?
Grass under the trees, removes those on the mountain and adds one or two species in your forest that should much better be!