An idea for a new feature

Started by Avhaz, January 14, 2007, 07:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will

and we do it is populations on a disk simple, sweet, effective...

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

littlecannon

Matt

I love your description of forces.. on another track, I do taijiquan and baguazhang, both internal martial arts and both heavily use centripetal and centrifugal forces and it was interesting to hear a description of planetary scale, relating to personal scale, i.e macro and micro.

Yeah, sorry, that was well off track... back to landscaping.  ::)

Simon.
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

odd

Thanks loads for the halosim link Javajones...been looking for something like that  thanks!!  ;D

Ricowan

Quote from: Cyber-Angel on January 19, 2007, 11:57:34 PM
...my attitude towards software is "If they can think of it as a plug-in, then include that functionality in the main programme"...

I don't think that's realistic at all.  Think of it this way instead: why should the developers spend their limited time adding a feature into the main program that may only be useful to a few people, when that feature could be written as a plug-in by someone else and only those few people that want it can install and use it.

Rich

Cyber-Angel

Can we clear this up right now, I am first and foremost a philosopher not a genius; whatever happens, happens plain and simple this feature is unlikely to be seen in the first commercial release of TG2 any way so if it happens to come out later in an update some time fine, if not oh well to bad to sad.

I will say it again give-artists the tools and they can do their jobs, let's address this whole plug-in thing that seems to be the main issue here. Ok if and when (RE some time this year) the SDK is released then part of the documentation for that had better be a style guide and interface standards other wise you will end up with people getting lost with unfamiliar interfaces and as some one with more than a passing interest in Human-Computer Interaction I wouldn't like it, period.

Without some kind of standards you could end up with all kinds of stability and compatibility issues, its happened countless times before and will do so again.

There needs to be some method of quality control for these plug-ins before they can be sanctioned for use or you will end up with a situation with them akin to the Mod's in the games industry, some work great others do not.

At the end of the day then weather we get Planetary rings or we don't is no big deal, further more I won't be losing sleep over the issue and I don't see it as a problem, because the only time it will become a problem is if there's a problem, and that's a problem.

;D

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel 

swiftstream

Hmm. I don't think Planetside should try to test and sanction, as you suggest, plug-ins. Here are my reasons:

1) How can they actually control whether plug-ins get released or not? Unless you suggest a system where Terragen will only use plug-ins cryptographically signed by Planetside, I don't see any way to do this. Such a system would make development of plug-ins unnecessarily difficult, and so would discourage it--exactly what we (including Planetside) don't want!

2) Stability of plug-ins, you seem to suggest, might be dependent on what particular combination of plug-ins is installed and in use, and might also be dependent on system architecture, etc. Even in only a dozen plug-ins were ever released, there would literally be millions of possible combinations of plugins installed/in use for Planetside to check before giving the OK for that twelfth plug-in. Everybody at Planetside has better things to do than check whether particular combinations of plug-ins are stable--improving the core program itself, for example.

3) Some sort of community will doubtless spring up around plug-ins, and a "free marklet" like behavior will ensure that only stable plug-ins with reasonable UIs[1] are widely used.

4) Some plug-ins will be commercial; in these cases, the developers have a commercial interest in making sure that their plug-in will be widely used, and so making it stable and giving it a reasonable UI.

5) For plug-ins that are not commercial, there is always the draw of fame and glory (heh) for making a stable, usable, useful plug-in. Of course, if the developer was just scratching his own itch and could care less whether other people like his plug-in, but is just throwing it out there in case anybody does, this doesn't apply.

I can see Planetside potentially featuring certain plug-ins known to be stable on their website, but this would certainly not preclude other plug-ins being distributed. Over time, some sort of plug-in repository/index (or several...) will probably develop[2], and the stable and usable plug-ins will rise to the top, as it were. Other plug-ins will largely be ignored, and in time their functionality will mostly be duplicated by new stable and usable plug-ins.

[1] Reasonable does not necessarily exclude text-based. For example, there's no real reason to write GUIs for many simple utilities found on Linux and other similar systems--command line is just as easy, even for someone like me who was raised on Mac OS :D.

[2] If nobody else has done it in a couple years, I will. ;)

Cyber-Angel

Oh look, I give up, I have said what I have to say in a not unreasonable manor as I seem to be the only one around here concerned with this stuff. At the end of the day there is only so much one person can do weather that's good, bad or indifferent. For the record I do not like protracted arguments and have neither time nor patience for either.

Like I said weather we get this feature or not is all the same to me, there is enough for me to be going on with right now and I am sure once the final version is released there will be a whole sloe of new and cool things to learn and use.

I will not repeat my self endless times because I do not like to repeat my self, on the whole Planetary Rings while nice are way down my list of priorities for what I'd like to see put into Terragen in the future but those features will not be discussed here and are the subject of posts in there own right.  End of Line.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel

dhavalmistry

A new feature I would like to see is 3D camera movement specially dolly-in and dolly-out and also a little guide to axis at the bottom corner of preview screen, just like any other 3d program
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

RedSquare

May be regarded as a bit flippant, but I would like to see the camera mounted on a virtual gimble, so as the pesky thing keeps level until I program it to bank or pitch.

Njen

Quote from: dhavalmistry on January 23, 2007, 10:41:22 AM
A new feature I would like to see is 3D camera movement specially dolly-in and dolly-out and also a little guide to axis at the bottom corner of preview screen, just like any other 3d program

While the axis may help in a lot of situations, it may only serve to confuse you the further you move away from 0,0,0. If you move on the other side of the planet, or even as little as 100km away, then the axis will be unreliable.

What we need is a kind of compass which also shows us the upDireaction from where ever we are on the planet surface.

dhavalmistry

Quote from: njen on January 24, 2007, 04:59:24 AM
While the axis may help in a lot of situations, it may only serve to confuse you the further you move away from 0,0,0. If you move on the other side of the planet, or even as little as 100km away, then the axis will be unreliable.

What we need is a kind of compass which also shows us the upDireaction from where ever we are on the planet surface.

Yes thats what I meant...a visual guidance to axis from where the camera is at
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

DeathTwister

How did you get the center to be vacant? or have space so it does not hit the planet, the rings I mean? /smiles..... Looks killer will try it in the morning.

DeathTwister
Maylock Aromy DeathTwister Stansbury
ATOMIX Productions

Will

its basically an alpha.

regards,

Will

3DGuy

Well, the disc has an inner radius. Set that to  to be larger dan the planets diameter.

Will

Well sardine's is an alpha but you could do it with a disk I beleave.

regards,

Will