Limiting populations by height and slope.

Started by chadkruger, August 17, 2008, 12:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadkruger

I know this has been asked before, though that was a long time ago, and before all the updates.  Can someone go over it with me again.

I know someone has said to use the distribution shader, which I don't see a shader labelled distribution shader. I've tried the fractal breakup from one of my layers, and that's not working either.

Thanks.

Oshyan

Use a Distribution Shader V4 (in the shader menu it's under Create Shader->Colour Shader). Attach that to the Density Shader input of your population and make sure Use Density Shader is checked in the Populator settings. Try starting with specific and narrow settings at first so you can make sure it's working, for example limit height to level that would be very obvious in your particular scene (you can use the coordinate readout at the bottom of the 3D preview to find the height, or Y value, of the terrain in view). Once you confirm that you have hooked it up correctly and it is working, adjust the settings to your preference.

- Oshyan

jo

Hi,

You can find the distribution shader (called "Distribution shader v4") in the Colour Shader submenu of the Shaders "Add" popup menu buttons, or in the Colour Shader submenu of the Create Shader submenu when you context click on the network view.

Regards,

Jo

chadkruger

I finally got what I was looking for.  Thanks!