undercut on the walls of a gorge

Started by groverwa, January 14, 2007, 06:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groverwa

Gday

Can anyone please help me make the walls of my gorge (that's australian for canyon) show terrain undercut because of water wearing away the surface??

Also I would like to show the high water mark on the walls in a light colour - see example at http://www.australianexplorer.com/postcards/western_australia/postcard_fitzroy_crossing_geike_gorge.htm

See attachments

Mike

Will

have you tryed a warp or shear yet? I cant check the tgd at the moment but those nodes might be helpful to you.

regards

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

gradient

Have you tried creating hightfields from the inverted crater technique...then placing them to form the canyon walls?

John2k6

i don't get it.. you want to make your walls better, or position them like a canyon? if you want to position them as a canyon then make a ferw crater shaders, set the depth to a number such as "-900" then modify it using a redirect shader, twist and shear, and maybe strata :)

3DGuy

Try this one (doing it off the top of my head because I'm rendering, but I've played with it enough):
Add a distribution shader. limit the maximum altitude to just above your water. Make the fuzzy zone fairly small since want a fairly steep cut. Then add a powerfractal to the child layer node. Then use the displacement offset to move the walls. You'll need to use a negative offset to move them below your canyon walls.

Will

Good idea 3dguy

Regards

Will

groverwa

Gday

Thanks for the suggestions - Ill give them a try - sorry but I did not give you the ter file so here it is along with the World Machine file if anyone wants to have a play

Mike

"Knowledge is directly proportional to the amount of mistakes made"

groverwa

Gday

I did as 3DGuy suggested and added a Twist and Shear Shader as well.
Getting where I would like to be with this.
See attachments

Mike

Will

Nice, you could use it just as it is becuase the fact that watter level would change over time so I think if your happy with it you could move on from there. Keep up the good work :)

Regards

Will