100% cloud cover

Started by johnt200202, August 28, 2008, 01:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnt200202

Silly question - how do I get total cloud cover for a grey overcast day? I can't seem to get more than 75% cover by fiddling with the settings. I also don't understand why all the cloud save layer options are greyed out on my version.

Or do I just make the sky grey intsead of blue?

Thanks, John

JimB

You should be able to do it using the cloud's Density Fractal coverage slider.
Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

Oshyan

Jim, he's using Terragen 0.9. ;)

You should be able to get full coverage by increasing Density Contrast and Density Shift. You should also turn on Clouds Cast Shadows in the Lighting Conditions window. You may also want to adjust Darkening in the Cloud Lighting Settings are of the Cloud Window. This should more or less give you the results you want (overcast).

The cloud layer saving functionality was never implemented. That's why it's grayed out. We have ceased development on Terragen 0.9 so if you want additional functionality you should try out the Terragen 2 Technology Preview, with greatly increased capability, including multiple cloud layers, saving of cloud layers, etc.

- Oshyan

JimB

Some bits and bobs
The Galileo Fallacy, 'Argumentum ad Galileus':
"They laughed at Galileo. They're laughing at me. Therefore I am the next Galileo."

Nope. Galileo was right for the simpler reason that he was right.

AndyWelder

Another road to an overcast sky would be using the "Simple haze": Use a low Density percentage but a high Half-height value. If you combine this with a low (let's say 5) Metres Point Spacing a nice overcast sky should be a piece of cake.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Lupina

Hallo,

I have a beginner's question:

Do you organize the clouds first and then the rest (surface etc.) or is it the other way round? :-[

AndyWelder

QuoteDo you organize the clouds first and then the rest (surface etc.) or is it the other way round?
That's up to you!
I always start with a terrain, then search for a good POV (Point Of View), what's next totally depends on what I'm after.
If it's a dramatic sky I start working on the clouds and lighting and the surface follows after that.
If it's a grand vista the surface comes first and the clouds follow later. Sometimes I work on the lighting first...
But that's my MO, everyone has it's own.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

Lupina