topographic map overlays

Started by Lucio, January 14, 2007, 06:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucio

I'm doing many experiments with image mapping on TG2. Now I've managed to obtain a very high resolution map (10000x10000) of a topographic area, corresponding to my living zone, in Italy, and then applied as a surface layer to the corresponding DEM terrain, downloaded from the Nasa SRTM program.
All consisted in taking about a hundred screenshots with Google Earth, and stitching them together in Photoshop to make the map.. long and hard work  :)

However the result can be good and realistic for backgrounds or medium/high altitude images or animations, especially for populated zones with infrastructures, roads, cities and so on

Here is an image of the scene I created

Will

very cool! and mans that a hight res image!
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

oggyb

That's beautiful, well done!!!   :o  I must try this some time, I've been looking at DEMs and sat images for where I live too.

M.

rcallicotte

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Jane

Such a beautiful image! 
I would love to learn how to do this too.  I sure spend a lot of time looking at Google Earth too. But not living near a city, we dont have those really high resolution pictures yet. 
Jane

Lucio

I used Google Earth because it's free, and I don't have enough money to purchase high resolution satellite maps.. Google Earth has many different resolutions per area, and placing manually the final overlay image on the terrain can't be an exact procediment. I think it's important to choose significative portions that can give a good visual result, even if they don't match perfectly the terrain. It's a work based on the result you want to achieve. However the resolution of these maps must be VERY high to obtain decent results, especially if you increase the resolution of the renders

Oshyan

Quite nice results. I commend your patience. ;D You may find some high resolution seamless satellite imagery at the USGS seamless data repository: http://seamless.usgs.gov

- Oshyan

mt_sabao

Will

Quote from: JavaJones on January 19, 2007, 03:09:22 AM
Quite nice results. I commend your patience. ;D You may find some high resolution seamless satellite imagery at the USGS seamless data repository: http://seamless.usgs.gov

- Oshyan

Good resource! Thanks:)

Regards,

Will

Lucio

Yes, that NASA link is also useful for terrain models

rcallicotte

How high was the resolution of the maps you used?

Quote from: usciouscio on January 14, 2007, 06:56:41 PM
...However the resolution of these maps must be VERY high to obtain decent results, especially if you increase the resolution of the renders
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Lucio

Quote from: calico on January 19, 2007, 11:26:26 AM
How high was the resolution of the maps you used?

Quote from: usciouscio on January 14, 2007, 06:56:41 PM
...However the resolution of these maps must be VERY high to obtain decent results, especially if you increase the resolution of the renders

I've taken 97 screenshots @ 1024x768 screen resolution, then stitched all the material in a final 10000x10000 contrast enhanced .png. Actually Google Earth can save only low quality .jpg screenshots and this is a bit limitating, but with patience you can get good results.

I think TG2 has a very great and unexplored potential in architectural landscaping and exteriors visualization. I'm an architect, and I'm planning to use the Deep version in a project I'm already working (I posted a topic about that some week ago), even if the rendertimes are a bit expensive actually.

Will

Think of the possablitys if you could get a Maxwell render plug-in for Terragen 2....

Regards,

Will

glen5700

Very cool idea and a very cool image,
Thanks for sharing,
Glen