Measurements in Feet?

Started by Sethren, January 15, 2007, 03:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethren

The one issue i am having in Terragen 2 right now is size. It seems to me that everything is measured in meters or just 0 to 100 to 1000 and so on. I think there should be an option added at some point were the user can choose wither to have meters or feet. Lets say i want a small hill that is 1000 feet high and 3000 feet in diameter and a group of trees that average 30 feet high around the base of the hill. Atl east this way one can get a very good idea of how big everything in the world is. It seems i am always having to guess how big everything really is. If i want to create a mountain chain the size of the rockies for example i want to know how large it would be in comparison to the overall world. One also should be able to import a tree and have the option of re-sizing it to it's real world size in feet rather then using confusing numbers of 0.34 or 124 and so on.

Ricowan

Even if Planetside did add a way to use feet instead of meters (and I hope they don't waste time on that when there are much better things they need to work on) you'd still see measurements like 12.4 feet, etc.  There are very few applications that actually convert fractions of a foot into inches and they're all limited to small scale tasks like architecture.  And then there's the really stupid 5280 feet in a mile calculation that would have to be done for the large scale stuff.  Honestly, speaking as an old dog born and raised in the USA, the metric system is much better for an application like TG and it's not at all hard to get used to if you try.  A rough way to estimate measures in feet is to multiply meters by three.  That should be good enough to get the idea of how things are sized in TG.

Rich

Oops!  Fixed my "typo". :)

Will

Yes I agree with Ricowan, as part the future of the world I would like to say that I support the metric system. Its is much more pratical then the imperial system we use here in the US, also there is a lot better thing to work on like bug fixes.

P.S. GO SOPHMORES!

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

FrankThomas

Quote from: Ricowan on January 15, 2007, 10:10:31 AM
A rough way to estimate measures in feet is to divide meters by three.  That should be good enough to get the idea of how things are sized in TG.

Rich

Don't you mean multiply by three to get feet ? (10m = approx 30ft)

Will

Sethren

Fair enough!    ;D

I can honestly say i use both systems but if meters it is then meters it is.

mt_sabao

Quote from: Sethren on January 15, 2007, 03:48:13 AM
One also should be able to import a tree and have the option of re-sizing it to it's real world size in feet rather then using confusing numbers of 0.34 or 124 and so on.

::) ??? ::) So i'm sorry, in your perspective the real world is measured in feet and inches?! (1 feet, one might had, is composed of eleven sub units, inches)...

FrankThomas

the real world is measured in whatever you want to measure it in.  For e.g. you could measure a 30' tree as being 6.66e-007 a.u if you were so inclined :)

Will

Heh, I once found my age in nano secunds (one day I will spell things correctly :-[ )

Regards,

Will