Hometime - Updated

Started by dandelO, September 16, 2008, 09:33:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandelO

I can't decide if it's dusk or dawn so, it's just home time.

Two basic, nearly default cloud layers with a strong low sun right on the horizon. The sea is just a planet surface power fractal with a water shader instead of 'base colours', no transparency.
Fixed my computer (so it doesn't shut down, flatline style, at times of exertion, lazy b*******!) and because of this, I can now play with TG clouds! Most of my images contain as little cloud as I can get away with for this reason but, now it's fixed they'll probably contain as much as I can get away with! ;)

The distant terrain is just a heightfield inside a TG plane object (so it can be textured there because there are no land shaders in the main shaders group anymore) dumped out at sea so, it looks like the mainland but it's not.

The boat's wake is postwork.

Thanks for looking! I'm not too keen on it, I think... 

[attachimg=#]

:-\

rcallicotte

"Not so keen on it..."  Well, let's see - the only critique I have is that the forward wave looks out of place, like it shouldn't be that angle.  But, that small detail aside, this is magnificent.  So either I have poor taste or you have some great talent hidden away that needs to stretch out a bit more.

Very nice lighting, great object setup, nice manipulation of TG2 and excellent clouds.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dandelO

Cheers, Calico, I just think it's lacking something overall, I might give it a gull population or something nearer the land...

I'd upload the clouds to the library but that'd be pointless, it's a default low level 3d layer with slightly less than default coverage in the density fractal (-0.125) and, roughness 2.5. There's a high 2d default cirrus with only a couple of random seed clicks from defaults, aswell.
The cumulus clouds are only 28 samples(or 0.75 detail) and they're on conservative acceleration, I've had problems with the acceleration cache before but this time it's worked out alright, the lighting is the key to making the clouds look nicer, they're lit from beneath, as the sun is on the horizon instead of above it, where lots of cloud scenes are. This sun strength is 8. It's default enviro-ight GI settings and final GI render settings of 1/1 - supersampled. Default atmosphere too, 48 samples.

1 hour and 25 minute render on 2 processors + 1g ram. I need an upgrade. :(

rcallicotte

Upload your whole atmosphere and all your clouds to the library.  These are nice, small tuning aside.  It's the end-result we're interested in and we will all learn from your manipulations.

Your image - give it all you've got.  That's a good practice sometimes.  Who knows when it might lead to something in the future.

dandelO

mr-miley

dandelO

Very nice render. It reminds me of one of those really good "naval" prints you see, costing a small fortune (this is meant by way of a compliment  ;D ) Great lighting and a really nice model. Superb  ;D

Miles
I love the smell of caffine in the morning

inkydigit

agree with all of the above...I love it, is the moon postworked?

dandelO

Cheers, guys! :) Nah, Inky, the moon's a seperate TG planet. I'm always tempted to, and usually do, do a really big moon in my images, this one's small and more natural in size for the render than my usual. I like this wee moonlet.

moodflow

Very nice overall presentation!  The moon adds that extra touch for sure.   8)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

dandelO

I really don't know how to make this anymore interesting...

Stuck in some gulls with TG and went at it a little in CS2.
I've fixed the main offending fractal lines in the ocean with the help of my friend and yours... Uncle Clone-brush.
I also added the ghost of a plane in postwork, a nasty chemical contrail, which I abhor polluting the sky in life but, I figured, there'd probably be a lot more of them in real life anyway, if I were to have taken a photo like this. Think ye not?

Overall, the difference is very slight but a definite improvement.

[attachimg=#]

rcallicotte