xp 64bit problem

Started by lightning, September 19, 2008, 03:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightning

i recently changed my os to windows 64bit
when i load terragen 2 on the old 32 bit it says two logical processors found this is still not correct because i have twin side by side dual core amd processors so really i have 4 cores
but now when i load terragen in my 64bit os it says that only 1 processor is detected
is this a fault with terragen?

SteveScout

this is the same for me. But as far as I read in the forum here "detection" does not mean "using" - so TG2 does not seem to actually use all detected processors in rendering. What I do is slpitting up - I start 4 TG2 instances on one machine, each is given one processor to render with (in task manager, "Affinities") and that´s working fine!

cheers,
Steffen

jo

Hi,

The core detection code on Windows still has some issues, so yes it is a fault with Terragen. To be fair, it is ridiculously complex on Windows to get the number of cores.

The best way around this is to decide how many cores you want to use. In both of your cases it sounds like it should probably be 4. You can override the core detection using the settings in the Startup preference panel.

Regards,

Jo

lightning

Quote from: jo on September 19, 2008, 08:50:42 AM
Hi,

The core detection code on Windows still has some issues, so yes it is a fault with Terragen. To be fair, it is ridiculously complex on Windows to get the number of cores.

The best way around this is to decide how many cores you want to use. In both of your cases it sounds like it should probably be 4. You can override the core detection using the settings in the Startup preference panel.

Regards,

Jo

No im not bothered really i was just wondering im really happy with the current build of terragen anyway haven't had any problems with it at all!

pagan

Is it a true 64 bit version of TG2 in your plan?

Oshyan

Quote from: pagan on October 02, 2008, 03:49:20 AM
Is it a true 64 bit version of TG2 in your plan?

Eventually, yes.

- Oshyan