3D World 108th Issue

Started by rcallicotte, September 20, 2008, 03:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

In this issue, there is an image in the Exhibition section from someone who used Geocontrol and Vue.  No offense to this person, since he admits to being new to Geocontrol and a novice to 3D modeling, but someone here should think seriously about having a contest to see which top three images we should send to 3D World from TG2 (postwork allowed).  I've already seen work here that would easily excel in this magazine.  What do you think?

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

yea man I'm not to good with geocontrol yet but I have some nice work. And I'm sure all of you can do a excellent job.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

Let's think about doing an impromptu contest.  To make it easy, we could make a list of everyone who wants to enter, set a date and then post in the Image Section.  After an agreed set date, we all come back here and vote.  The top three agree to enter their entries into 3D World. 

Will

sounds good to me
whats the deadline for 3d world btw?

rcallicotte

Don't know, but we would need to mail a CD to the UK - http://www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=letters_showreels_and_exhibition_entries

So...do we have interest?  If you're interested and ready, sign here and we'll set up a date, etc.  We can keep it simple.

Will

Well I'm going through the college application process now I'll still give it a shot.

rcallicotte

I'll give it a shot, too.  Anyone who wants to try this, sign your name here and then put an image into the Image Section, which is designated as going for this contest.

Let's say we'll figure out whose is the best by vote by October 6th at midnight and the voting will be done in this thread.  If we only get a few entries, we'll figure it out from there.  Maybe we'll just send in all of our entries and let 3DWorld decide. 

old_blaggard

I would really like to participate in this, but I am really busy at the moment with some paid work.  Would it be possible to extend the date a little?
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Sure.  What date do you need?  There isn't a real deadline yet, since we're just figuring out the details.

My hope was to keep it simple, so we're doing well.

old_blaggard

Anytime mid-October or later would work for me.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

sjefen

I don't understand. What's this all about and are there no rules?

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

rcallicotte

Terje, we're working on an agreement.  The only rule so far is to make the best possible TG2 render (no rules) you can and submit it to 3D World via the link I found up above.  If enough people do this on this, we could vote on the top three we all agree should be sent.  But, the reality is we could all send something to 3D World no matter what.  It might be more intriguing, though, to set a date for a goal of submitting our image and then vote within a week's time after that. 

Sounds like o_b would like October 15th as the end date for an entry.  Sounds fine to me.  Is this too early for anyone?

Oshyan

I believe they normally associate featured images with an article, in this case one on Geocontrol I believe. So the image might have to relate to an article they're running. Something to consider...

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

@Oshyan, really?  I haven't seen the article about GeoControl in this issue.  It's mostly about 3D faces.  This particular image was in the Gallery part of their section, which is in the first part of this 108th issue (not the latest issue, I guess).  I have seen other images in the Gallery section unrelated to any other articles while looking at other 3D World issues, so I'm assuming this is a possibility.  Check out the link I included above to see that the image doesn't need to relate to an article.

If you check out this issue, I'm pretty sure you'll see that this one Vue image is not related to an article. 

Tangled-Universe

Each issue of 3D World has a couple of exhibition-pages where selected images are being published.
The artist will have to submit his/her work in at least 2100px wide image format and should also write a short text about him-/herself and majorily about the production of the image. Which software, a bit how with that software and postwork.

I've submitted one TG2 image over a month ago and hadn't received a message so I haven't selected.
The image I submitted was "A Brand New Day" and I tried to make it extra interesting by mentioning the previous issue of 3D World where there was a tiny article about TG2's state of development. So something like: you wrote about it, look what it can do! ;)
But unfortunately not good enough (yet ;D hopefully).
Even more unfortunately a totally crappy Vue-image by Kenwas (absolutely great Vue-artist!) was selected that issue. Just some water and a tree-line with some sun. Really didn't understand their choice, since Kenwas himself and other artists make way way better images than that one.
But ok, never mind :)

Martin