3D World 108th Issue

Started by rcallicotte, September 20, 2008, 03:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Okay, it's official - we'll have October 15th as the due date for when all of the entries need to be submitted.

Submit your entry to the Image Section on the Planetside Forums and designate here (in this thread) the name of your submission and include a link to help us be able to look at your entry.  If we have enough, we'll vote and take the top three.  Otherwise, if we only have a few entries, I'd recommend we encourage each other to make our submitted images the best each image can be and then we can all submit our entries separately.

No matter the outcome, anyone can send their own entry, of course.  But, this way is a means for encouraging our members to submit something astounding to 3D World magazine.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sjefen

Sounds like fun. I'll give it a try.

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

nvseal

I like the idea. I might try to make a little something.  ;D

Will

Well good luck everyone with their projects can't wait to see em. OH and by post how much can be postwrok? Is it only lighting or can it be composites?
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

I think it should be all out as long as the postwork isn't over 30%.  30% can include anything, as long as everyone agrees it really is 30%.  We can police ourselves alright, can't we?

Oshyan

Sorry Calico, I think I had the wrong magazine in mind!  :-[ Good luck everyone!

- Oshyan

Bluestorm

I am the guy who created the Canyon image you were talking about in this thread.

Just thought I'd let you know that I did not send in my picture. Instead, I received a mail from Nick Aspell who is the editor responsible for the exhibition section where he said that he wanted to feature my image in one of the next issues. He had seen my image at Cornucopia 3D and liked it. Since you can't buy the 3D World Magazine here in Germany I didn't even know about the exhibition section.  ;)

So, I can confirm that the image is in no way related to a specific article in that issue, nor was there any other particular reason that it got selected other than that the editors liked it.

Good luck to everyone, hope you'll get featured  :)

Will

Cool! Hey, congratulations on getting published :)

rcallicotte

Congratulations, Bluestorm.  Welcome to the Planetside forums.  Have you tried a run at TG2 yet?  If not, there are lots of helpful people here along with loads of sample files and explanations, as well as helpful tutorials.

Bluestorm

Yes, I tried Terragen 2 when it came out, but I could not get along with the node based interface, and in my opinion the 3D preview is horrible, sorry ;). I still have it installed on my hard drive and tried several times to get into it with the help of tutorials, but the rendertimes are my main gripe with TG2. They are way too long for me and I don't want to have to wait several minutes for a small test render. Vue has also a very slow renderer, but preview renders are much quicker.

I put my hopes into the final version of TG2, because TG2 is miles ahead of Vue in terms of terrains. Although Vue features Displacement mapping it doesn't work correctly when you try to restrict it on certain slopes or heights, so overhangs or carved-in rocks or canyons like in TG2 are definitely not possible in Vue at the moment, unless you model them in some external program like Maya or Cinema 4D and import them as high resolution models. I tried displacement mapping on rocks in anr Ecosystem...this made Vue crash instantly. If I had to descirbe it in one sentence I'd say that Vue is on the level of Terragen 1 regarding terrains. Let's hope Vue 7 improves this, there will be at least infinite (!) procedural terrains which were not possible before.

Concluding, I think TG2 is a truly awesome programm, but the current interface and especially the rendertimes are some big obstacles for me which I don't have the time to overcome :(.

A combination of Terragen's clouds and terrains and Vue's other features and interface would probably result in the ultimate 3D landscape tool :).

Ah, you can still dream... :)

old_blaggard

I'm not sure if people are still going about this, but here's my entry.  I didn't quite have enough time to get it as I wanted it, but it'll have to do for now.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte

Brilliant. 

Can we postpone it until the 22nd? 

Will

Nice, I', doing college application stuff but I'll still see if I can throw my entry together.

PG

Yes can we postpone the deadline? I didn't even see this topic until today. ::) It doesn't have to be a terrain scene does it?
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

old_blaggard

No, just something done mostly with Terragen.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.