Render size

Started by Iskander, January 04, 2007, 02:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iskander

In Terragen 0.9, we could render images up to 1280x960, but now only to 800x600 - not very good for a brilliant desktop. Is there any reason for the shift? Will slightly higher sizes be possible in future versions of TG2?

Regards.

FrankThomas

the free version is restricted to 800x600.  If you buy the Tech preview then the restrictions are removed

Iskander

I'm aware of that, but in Terragen 0.9 you could render significantly larger. Are there any plans to restore Terragen 0.9's render size in future releases of TG2?

MooseDog

enormously high renders are available right now, there's nothing to restore.  go thee shopper to aisle three and pay for it. 

FrankThomas

Quote from: Iskander on January 04, 2007, 03:03:10 PM
I'm aware of that, but in Terragen 0.9 you could render significantly larger. Are there any plans to restore Terragen 0.9's render size in future releases of TG2?

How much bigger than an entire planet do you want ? :)
Head for the checkout and as a bonus you can import unlimited populations as well

crazymonkey

Yep i'm considering making a purchase in the next few days :) 800x600 just isn't floating my boat anymore :P

Oshyan

The limitations of the Technology Preview are not likely to change. We still hope to provide a free version upon final release as well and the limitations of that version may be different, but we do feel that the greatly increased capability and quality of TG2 compared to TG 0.9 means you are getting at least as much detail as TG 0.9 even at the lesser 800x600 resolution.

One factor in this is the well known need to "downsample" TG 0.9 renders for best quality. TG2's detail slider at a setting of 1 is largely equivalent to the quality level of a downsampled TG 0.9 render. With TG 0.9 free version limited to a 1280x960 render size, if you downsampled 2x you would only have an image of 640x480. So if you consider equivalent quality the Technology Preview actually offers you a better mix of resolution and detail.

- Oshyan

littlecannon

Well said Oshyan, with the quality of application your getting for nothing what's to complain about. If you feel you need more, then you should purchase the full TG2TP. It's a steal at that price anyway, even cheaper if your in UK with the exchange rate at the moment. You can't have everything for nothing, though it would be nice.  ;)
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...