Underwater Scenes

Started by sjefen, September 24, 2007, 06:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

In the real world this happens due to the refraction of sunlight by the surface of the water (resulting in higher light flux where light rays cross each other), and that will not be simulated directly. However, by projecting caustics maps or other shaders into the water it should be possible to fake this effect, so we will probably add some tools to make it as easy as possible to project images and shaders into the water volume to create this kind of effect. It's too soon to say when we might be able to do this.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

AndyWelder

"Atmosphere is not the same as water if you know what I mean."
Well, actually it is!, atmosphere is very thin water, clouds are thicker atmosphere (or less thinner water). And in TG2 it can act like water.
The spheres in the attached image are floating on a cumulus cloud that looks more like a liquid. Or do I have too much imagination? ;)
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

bigben

Clouds also give you greater control over altitude/thickness.  Cap it with a transparent water surface and there should be some scope for simulating some subsurface effects

rcallicotte

No, not too much.  How did you do that?

Quote from: AndyWelder on January 19, 2008, 04:16:44 PM
The spheres in the attached image are floating on a cumulus cloud that looks more like a liquid. Or do I have too much imagination? ;)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

AndyWelder

Cranked up the values for 'Edge sharpness' and 'Coverage adjust' to give it the look of a distinct puddle and played with 'Cloud density' for the transparency.
The way the whole scene is lit contributes to the result of course, the lighting can make or break the scene.
The attached .TGD is not the one from this scene, I went on looking for something else but the cloud settings haven't changed, they're the ones used in the 'Stoned6AgainClouds3D' image. Hope this is of some use.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

rcallicotte

Thanks, Andy.  I'll try the TGD.  Thanks for helping us learn more. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

matrix2003

[attachthumb=#]

Finally got around to playing with this!
-MATRIX2003-      ·DHV·  ....·´¯`*