Orphaned Works Bill in US congress

Started by bgriswold, May 09, 2008, 12:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mohawk20

Not feeling like reading a lot right now... what is this about?
Howgh!

Will

same thing as that thread about us loosing the right to our work, basically unless you go through some long process you lose the rights to your own work.
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

rcallicotte

I'm not sure there's really a bill in place to take away our rights and there's another thread under Open Discussion about the same thing.

Right now, when you create something by writing or graphics or even music, you are automatically given rights to your work.  If someone steals your work, you don't need to have registered the work to have a case.  Some people's work slides, after they have already died or for whatever reason that they have let their copyright slide for 50 years.  These are orphaned works.  No one seems to own them.  Hence, orphans.  It's probably in the same vein, if someone creates something and doesn't attach their name to the work.  Since no one knows who owns the work, it is designated as an orphan.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Will

Its caused a pretty big stir over at CGS

rcallicotte

Will

rcallicotte

RedSquare

QuoteIt's probably in the same vein, if someone creates something and doesn't attach their name to the work.  Since no one knows who owns the work, it is designated as an orphan.

If it's true,( Orphaned Works Bill in US congress) it is far more serious than that as I understand it.

efflux

I'll state what I said over at the Luxology forum about this:

It essentially makes it possible for big corporations to more easily abuse the work of the smaller individual and they don't have to worry as much about the consequences but I guess that's normal these days.

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."

Mussolini.

What is exactly wrong with our laws at present? Nothing really. At least not in the UK but this stuff is being talked about in the UK now. The Gowers Review.

old_blaggard

http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

rcallicotte