Sky and clouds rendering large still files 10 000 by 10 000 pixels or more

Started by patrick, October 04, 2008, 07:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patrick

Hi,

i use Terragen 2  and i try to render very big files (stills in tiff ) 10 000 by 10 000 pixels bigger if possible of sky and clouds .
Do you have any suggestions ? Is it possible ? in order to get the best results as possible (less grain, best resolution) can you give to me some suggestions .
Do you think i better useTerragen 0.9 ?

Thanks

Patrick Mimran :D

Oshyan

The ideal scenario for a computer setup to enable large renders would be a system with at least 6GB of RAM and running a 64 bit operating system. This would allow Terragen 2 to use up to 4GB of memory, making high resolution rendering much more feasible. But the ability to render at such large sizes will also greatly depend on the complexity of the scene, even with an "ideal" rendering system. For scenes of low complexity, a 32 bit system with 2-4GB of RAM may work. For medium and especially high complexity scenes, 10,000x10,000 is unlikely to work unless you are on a 64 bit system with 6+GB of RAM. You will also be dealing with extremely high render times, so a quad core would be recommended as well.

TG 0.9 is less demanding on memory, but of course the results are also less realistic and the application as a whole is far less capable, so you are more limited in your scene creation ability. If you have the hardware to support it, TG2 would be recommended, though you'll also be looking at some very high render times, as I mentioned.

Out of curiosity, why do you need to render so large? The only possible use I can think of is for print, and at 300DPI (the typical maximum for any normal print process, and on the edge of reasonable human vision at average viewing distance), that would be a 33 inch square image, which is quite large even for posters. Most posters are also printed at a lower 150-220DPI, making an even larger printed size. Perhaps you don't need to render so large?

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Creating the Amazon scenes from Indiana Jones went something like this - "The images were 4000-5000 pixels wide. We used only 5 machines and it usually took 24 hours per image. This was a bit of a bet - hoping everything was rendering correctly and that I didn't forget anything in the render passes." 

Do you think this would be possible for TG2?  There might be variables here, but this was work that had been transferred into XSI and then back into Vue for the final render.  It sounds like TG2 is requiring more and more hardware to be able to do anything commercial.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

I think that's very doable considering 5 machines and a 24 hour render time *per frame*. I'd bet those are all at least quad core, more likely 8 core (dual quad) systems, which means 5x8, or *40* total rendering cores. If you split a 5000x5000 pixel image up into 40 or so sections (to do it evenly it'd be 36 sections actually, but we can just pad each tile out to account for overlap to use in stitching), you get tiles about 850x850. Now imagine rendering an 850x850 image in TG2 on a fairly fast single core CPU, say 1 core of a Core 2 Duo at 2.6Ghz or more. Yes, I think it's easily doable in 24 hours.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Cool, Oshyan.  Thanks for explaining that out.  I've never used multiple machines and someday this might be something I'll try.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?