less render time with more ram?

Started by Rich, January 15, 2007, 02:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

just wondering how much the render time would benefit from having 2.5gb ram instead of 1gb.....
would it at all? or is it more my cpu speed that counts?

Will

Im sure it would help but currently Terragen 2 is not optimized and relys mostly on the CPU (as you can see if you look at the task manager).

Regards,

Will
The world is round... so you have to use spherical projection.

3DGuy

Currently rendering a scene and TG2 is only using 150MB roughly.

Will

Dark Fire

Quote from: Rich on January 15, 2007, 02:24:59 PM
just wondering how much the render time would benefit from having 2.5gb ram instead of 1gb.....
More RAM is always better, but 1GB should be enough unless you are running several instances of T2TP at the same time. You shouldn't notice much difference in the render times with more RAM.

Quote from: 3DGuy on January 15, 2007, 03:01:46 PM
Currently rendering a scene and TG2 is only using 150MB roughly.
I've seen it use over 300MB...

3DGuy

Quote from: Will on January 15, 2007, 03:05:27 PM
how much CPU 3dguy?

regards,

Will
100% usage. I would be surprised to see something different. :P (I've got a single core, no hypterthreading).
But I'm running it in low priority so I can still use my computer normally heh.
Still not nearly 1GB, so upgrading from 1 to 2.5GB won't do much. Maybe if you're rendering very high resolutions.

Will

Yea I ahve 1 gig and I do fine so I think you are fine Rich or at least for the time being.

Regards,

Will

Dark Fire

Quote from: 3DGuy on January 15, 2007, 03:12:04 PM
But I'm running it in low priority so I can still use my computer normally heh.
Still not nearly 1GB, so upgrading from 1 to 2.5GB won't do much. Maybe if you're rendering very high resolutions.
Don't forget that to run your computer normally you need some RAM as well.

Will

Yea but Im runnign T2TP Itunes, Steam, Xfire, Microsoft word, Zbrush, and others and Im doing fine.

Regards,

Will

Sethren

I have noticed that from upgrading from 512 MBs to 1 Gig there was a very noticeable difference in render times, at least in my case. I will double this by years end.

vissroid

Well i think the more ram you have the more it uses. it seems some of you mgiht only have a Gg and say its enough. is this becuase its not using all of your ram? becuase on my machine I use just over Gg and sometimes heads up to 55 - 65% of my ram(and I have 2Ggs)

Will

I think it might have to do on how complex the render or scene is.

Regards,

Will

Superza

Quote from: Rich on January 15, 2007, 02:24:59 PM

Hi Rich, i see  Tg2 render going from 300 to 400 mb of memory in task manager, btw i think some other swap file on disk is being used:
that's why total amount of memory used vary from 1 gb to 2 gb due to the amount of obj population like plants.
So may be that having more ram reduce the swap period and  boost a little bit performances.
Anyway the best improve you can have is increase the cpu clock  or in the future number of cores for sure.
Btw I think that 2-4 gb is a good amount to render without pain with TGD.

Regards Max

moodflow

yea definitely 2GB atleast.  Secondly, having a dual core processor is great.   I was able to play Oblivion while rendering with no noticeable loss in performance. ;-)
http://www.moodflow.com
mood-inspiring images and music

Will

Just wait for Crysis and try to say the same thing ;) But I think the point is made, its CPU over ram at least until Terragen 2 becomes optomised.

Regards,

Will