Size of objects

Started by Feyszar, October 09, 2008, 07:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feyszar

Hi there,
a quick question regarding the size of imported objects. I encountered difficulties in finding the proper size when combining different objects like grass, trees etc. . I attached an image with examples. Somehow the xfrog tree seems to be the only object which is in proper relation to the "world". The grass mats are very big compared to a cam height of 6 metres.

So, objects could vary in size and I have to re-size it to my needs by changing the scale in the transform-tab?
What does value 1 mean in the scale fields? 1=original size and 2=double-size?

I apreciate any hint which helps me to understand the use of objects  :)

[attachthumb=#]

rcallicotte

Unfortunately, not all objects are standardized.  Changing the X, Y, Z scale can be done as you stated - 2 is twice the size; .5 is the half-the size.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Feyszar

Thanks calico,
does it mean I have to adjust the object spacing in population as well? e.g. If I double the size of an object I have to double the object spacing? I guess that would be too easy  :D

dandelO

This is true, Feyszar. You'll need to half the object spacing if you half the size of your object, and double if you make it twice as big.
Proper scaling of objects needs to be done before they are tgo'd, in another app'. I use Carrara and Poseray to scale/texture models respectively. Otherwise, you'll need to rely on TG2's 'scale' boxes, I've seen myself using scales of 0.05 for some shared models, everyone wants to make them massive.

inkydigit

yeah...this is a bit annoying, but I have gotten used to it....after I made a terrain and found a pov, I add some trees etc and they are way too tiny, just adjust the size as calico stated, in my last render the trees/shrubs  were all increased by 35 to 50 times!!!

pagan

You can also export bits of terrain with the lwo exporter or the lwo micro
Then you can import it into your favorite application, place your objects and check the size there.
Then re-import everything in TG2

I never fiddle with the size in TG2.

Also bear in mind of the pivot of an object, if it is not in the center it will scale relative to some other point

dandelO

Quote from: inkydigit on October 09, 2008, 11:51:06 AM
yeah...this is a bit annoying, but I have gotten used to it....after I made a terrain and found a pov, I add some trees etc and they are way too tiny, just adjust the size as calico stated, in my last render the trees/shrubs  were all increased by 35 to 50 times!!!

Yup. In my 'Hometime' image the boat is scaled at 150!  :D Not that the scaling's too bad for the model, it just didn't fit in at any other size.

sonshine777

Quote from: dandelO on October 09, 2008, 09:10:44 AM
This is true, Feyszar. You'll need to half the object spacing if you half the size of your object, and double if you make it twice as big.
Proper scaling of objects needs to be done before they are tgo'd, in another app'. I use Carrara and Poseray to scale/texture models respectively. Otherwise, you'll need to rely on TG2's 'scale' boxes, I've seen myself using scales of 0.05 for some shared models, everyone wants to make them massive.

What I do is to place a sphere (TG2) in the scene that is 1 meter in diameter. Then insert the models I want to use and scale them so their size is proportionate to the sphere. I then jot down the scale of that model so I will have it available the next time I need to use it.  I know it seems time consuming, but in the long run you will have a list of all of the scales for your models.

The output of each 3D modeling program is different and the conversion from those programs to a usable TG2 format ie... .obj etc.. do not yield the same scale factor. I use Cinema 4D and it seems that the objects exported from it need to be scaled by .05 in order to get the correct TG2 scale.

Hope this helps.

pagan

Yes you are right but for 3ds and maya users I think I have found a quick solution after trying different options. Usually I don't even use PovRay if I don't need to do some serious re-mapping

So in 3ds

- subdvivide your model in triangles with the subdivide modifier. The minimum requirements.
- Convert to mesh or collapse
- use the obj exporter(which I believe is a very good one) check the setting in the picture. I haven't try re-mapping with it because I like to do it in Terragen as I usually re-use many shaders

My models are always at the right scale and at the right position.

red_planet

Something to bear in mind is the unit system being used in the modeling application you are using. In 3ds Max you can set for imperial or metric and choose how long each unit represents. If you use metres as your unit of measurement it should be a 1 to 1 relationship when imported into TG. Blender has no way of setting a unit length, I have determined in the past that 1 Blender unit = 1 metre in TG.

Hope this helps.

Chris

AndyWelder

QuoteI encountered difficulties in finding the proper size when combining different objects like grass, trees etc. .
Had the same problem but I made my own workaround by rendering all downloaded trees and shrubs together with a default sphere of 1. This gave me an indication of how the objects related. I also made a note of the real world sizes of those trees and bushes at the rendered images so now I know how much I have to enlarge the objects to get realistic proportions and relations. All the images and data I bundled in one .PDF that I can consult when toying with objects.
If you like I can sent it to you.
"Ik rotzooi maar wat aan" Karel Appel

gregsandor

One meter in anim8or (www.anim8or.com) equals one meter in Terragen also.

I make meter sized cubes (and stacks of ten of them as 10m measures).  Also you can make a quick check of your objects in TG by setting a plain color (bright red) image map shader to the desired size in your scene and matching the object to it.

It is helpful to set the camera height to approximately your real eye-height, like 1.6 meters or so.